HNT Gordon Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Posty fetched a little box for me yesterday.
block6.jpg

As you may know, I have a soft spot for Terry Gordons Australian handmade wooden planes. This one is a block plane in Macassar Ebony.
block4.jpg

block5.jpg

The blade is bedded at 55 degrees (so its not a low angle one! :lol: ) Gordon planes are built to handle tough exotic timbers-the smoothing plane is a personal favorite of mine, so I was looking forward to using the block plane.
block2.jpg

I had a piece of ash handy-the Gordon loved it, taking lovely long end grain shavings out of the box.
block1.jpg

The mouth wasn't as tight as I was expecting (about 2/3 of a mil) but it performs just fine.
So, another thumbs up from Gordon planes. I do like the simple classy lines of these planes and their performance is outstanding.
cheers,
Philly :D

family.jpg

Oh look, mother. A collector... :wink: Nice looking little plane, Philly. Hmm, you seeming to be missing something a little longer from Mr Gordon. Better sort that out PDQ eh? :D Wish you hadn't posed it with a square though; I broke out in a cold sweat. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Just in case anyone wants to try these planes but can't face the cost, you may like to try a Mujingfang - the Chinese version (that HNT Gordon copied). Lyn Magniamelli talks quite highly of the Mujingfangs.

They are available here http://www.george-higgins.co.uk/ which is a store I have spent a lot of money in over thle years. The planes were all around the £20 mark and there was a large selection a few weeks ago when I was last in the shop.

The website only talks about power tools but Higgins have an extensive handtool section and an ironmongery section as well.

Alf,
How dare you care me a collector............ :wink: (Does three count as a "collection"? :D )
Been looking at the try plane, maybe one day..........

Chris,
According to Terry Gordon he got the design after a holiday in Malaysia-they are the local style.
Had a look on the web-site but they only showed tailed beasties. :cry:

I love the Gordon planes-they work inpecabbly, feel great in the hand and look superb. And they work on even the toughest timbers! :D
cheers

Sorry, forgot to mention the price in my "mini-review". Retail, in Ebony it's about £90 ish. Got mine on Ebay-£52, an ex demo one. :shock:
Good old Ebay, huh?
(Not that I recommend it, of course-leave ther "Bay" to me! :lol: )
arf!

Back