HMS260 Cast Iron Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I have removed the content, as it has now lost all sense, since the heading of the thread was changed.

Please note the replies below pertain only to the final point in my post which relates to a genuine query I raised on the D&M site.

Cheers
Neil

While not being responsible for the info put out by dealers on their website, i am sure that they meant to say 1/10th of a mm.Will speak to D&M and hopeflly they will pu it right.

MENATNMA

This is actually refering to the thicknesser isn't it? The height adjustment wheel is graduated to 1/10mm, but of course the rise and fall is continuous, so the accuracy is "infinite".
The blurb on the website is misleading (even if they typed it properly!) since the surface planer does not necessarily plane down to 1/10mm accuracy in terms of flatness. Unless the specs are different for the cast top (which I suspect they must be) Scheppach work to tolerances of 0.2mm (1/5mm) as I found out to my cost!

Have spoken to D&M and the advert is wrong, they will put it right asap and we look forward to other errors being pointed out.

Too late Neil, I'm now waiting for delivery. My order is placed :shock: .

Adam :D

To be honest, your title is a little unfair - and you might start a rumour!

Menatnma

The title of my first post was purely designed to seek the attention of Adam, as I was thinking of the P/T and Adam fitting it into his shed. I'm just surprised that you thought anyone might believe that part of my post.

I had posted the link to the D&M site purely as I thought Adam might be interested prior to his own P/T being delivered. Then when I read the sales blurb I couldn't actually believe what I was reading and I assumed I had made a mistake.

I was genuinely querying why it referred to a thicknessing tolerance of 10mm. I even referred to the fact that I must have misunderstood what I was reading. You have now identified that it was an error by D&M.

Neil

ta neil, no offence taken and it was understood in the right context, just the title was potentially off putting...

Menatnma

Hi menatmna

I must have been having a bad day yesterday, as I really couldn't see what the problem was and I certainly didn't want to harm your product. I'm sorry if it caused you any embarrassment.

Perhaps you could clear up the question of the tolerance that the P/T is manufactured to. Is it now .1mm (point one of a mm) or still .2mm (point two of a mm)?

Neil

Neil
It depends on how the tolerance is written or the symbols used upon the drawing. In gerneral tolerances used for flatness are shown about a centreline ie 0.1 mm about a centreline is actually 0.2mm from peak to trough. You need to be careful and relate to the exact statement or preferably the drawing.

Bean

Hi Bean

Thank you for your reply, but I had phrased my question incorrectly. It should have been "what is the accuracy in terms of flatness of the thickness planer".

The D&M site, when describing the new HMS260, says: -

"Smooth, large-area work-pieces that can be joined to form a single, completely flat part with 1/10mm accuracy – this is the goal of surface planing." (my bold and italics)

This, I believe, is a 100% improvement over the previous machine. In which case, well done Scheppach.

Will nma please confirm this?

Neil

Neil
Look at my post above about 1/10th accuracy.
I'm pretty sure this refers to the graduations on the handwheel.

My impression also is that any planer thicknesser that operates with threaded handwheels for raising and lowered effectively has "infinate" accuracy. More likely if you are having difficulty getting very fine adjustment, that the threads are caked full of dust I think.

Adam

Hi Aragorn

Aragorn":1jc65z2k said:
Neil Look at my post above about 1/10th accuracy. I'm pretty sure this refers to the graduations on the handwheel.

Thanks Aragorn, it's just that my last post was a direct quote from D&M and to me it seems that it is talking about flatness not graduations.

D&M Web Site":1jc65z2k said:
Smooth, large-area work-pieces that can be joined to form a single, completely flat part with 1/10mm accuracy – this is the goal of surface planing.

I could be totally wrong, of course. It has been known before. :oops:

Cheers
Neil

With a threaded adjuster a PT effectively has "infinate" accuracy upon adjustment, but only if you eradicate backlash from the system. Backlash being the gap inbetween the threads in the adjuster.

Bean

Hi all

D&M are obviously hell bent on confusing me.

Quote 1 "Smooth, large-area work-pieces that can be joined to form a single, completely flat part with 1¼10mm accuracy – this is the goal of surface planing."

Quote 2 "Smooth, large-area work-pieces that can be joined to form a single, completely flat part with 1/10mm accuracy – this is the goal of surface planing."

Both were on the D&M web site today. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Tsk tsk. Someone doesn't feel the need to proofread then... :roll:

Cheers, Alf
Qualified proofreader (but please don't feel the need to point out my mistakes as a consequence of this info, it's been a long time since I did any. :p )

I assume it's a problem with embedding fractions in html. The forward slash is obviously difficult to type in directly since it's part of the internet addressing scheme so I guess they're using special characters and getting them wrong.

Dunno why they wouldn't just use a decimal - 0.1mm) instead; more accurate and easier!

At the end of the day - it doesn't really matter. No matter what distributors have on their website, most people have selected their machine long before that.

Dave at Homewood said he still hasn't recieved my order in from NMA, so lets hope it arrives tomorrow. With a bit of luck he'll be able to deliver it thie weekend.

Adam

Hi Adam

asleitch":3fmwnhhi said:
Dave at Homewood said he still hasn't recieved my order in from NMA, so lets hope it arrives tomorrow. With a bit of luck he'll be able to deliver it thie weekend.

Jet have just received the stock of their jointer. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back