Hmmmm... stuck a little bit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given a pile of old 4"x3" pine by a colleague at work and decided to have a bash at turning something out of it. So...... I mounted a chunk of it in one of my home made chucks and turned a goblet with a long stem, and a couple of captive rings. Mot having a huge array of tools at my disposal, the rings were created using a small skew. Now the ret of the goblet is finished, I need to finish the rings.
Here's my problem. How do I go about sanding the rings, especially the insides?

Best way is a long thin strip of sandpaper folded in half ,

tuck it through the ring and then with the goblet between your knees ,

pull the paper up and down with each hand ,

in other words sand by hand through the grades

Good luck :wink:

It would have been easier to sand through the grits before the final parting off of the captive ring

Further to Allen's post, the inside of the rings should also be sanded before the goblet is removed from the chuck. You can wrap some abrasive around the stem, tape the edges so it stays in place and then hold the rings and sand them with the lathe revolving slowly.

It's essencial to sand the outside of the rings before parting them off. After that I have normally used the spinning wood under the parted rings to smooth off the inside of the rings. Works a treat for me..

After the insides have been done then I finish turning the rest of the stem or babys rattle or whatever..

I glue a strip of abrasive to the cylindrical section under where I just made the captive ring(s). Make the strip of abrasive just long enough to go round once without overlapping so there are no bumps. Just a couple of spots of CA glue to hold each end of the abrasive strip is all that's needed and it can be peeled off afterwards. Go through the grits as usual.

Well, gave it a bash with the abrasive on the stem - and hand sanding the outsides. Turned out not too bad for a first attempt.
IMG_2810-640.jpg

That's a goodie for a first Tazzy! My firsi captive rings were a real mess, but they are a bit better after some practice.

You have got a good stem too, a bit too tall for me, but that is a personal part. You have got it nice with the taper towards the top.

Well done!

As a matter of interest, I made my own tool to cut captive rings. Then you had to get one tool for the right hand side and one for the left. Too rich for my purse, as are the doubles available now as you need one for each size?

Mine was ground from an old 1 1/4" firmer chisel. I did it about 10 years or more back and is still going well.

IMG_2990.jpg

Jonzjob":3ulcaeh9 said:
As a matter of interest, I made my own tool to cut captive rings.Mine was ground from an old 1 1/4" firmer chisel. I did it about 10 years or more back and is still going well.

IMG_2990.jpg
Now that looks interesting. I have some tool steel I got from a friend a while back. (his old fella was into making working steam models and made all his own cutting tools for his lathe) It's pretty hard stuff. I burned all the teeth off'f a jigsaw blade cutting a bit of it. I think a piece may become a donor for an experiment.

Back