Hiya - What finish would you recommend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJB

Reaction score
Hi, I built a shed last year used 3x2 frame and treated Shiplap all around. I also used a clear treated wood preserve aswell.

Now it's gona a little greenish so the preserve it not holding up that well. I've been told Tung Oil would be the best, i would like the same colour or maybe just a notch down. Dont want a really dark finish.

What do you guys recommenc? Tung Oil? this is £60 for 5ltr. Which is a little expensive.

Sikkens Cetol is an excellent, long-lasting preservative, and just needs a maintenance coat every 4/5 years. Good colour range, so you can choose one to suit. I first used it about 10 years ago and wouldn't use anything else now for wooden garden buildings.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. :D

What timber did you use for the shed? Softwood that has been treated does have a green tint, is this what you have or does the timber has a green growth on it? If you are trying to get rid of the green tint then follow Trevs advice. If there is a green aglee/mould on the timber you need to clean it off before applying any other finnish.

Tung oil could be used but I wouldn't use it on a shed, the cost is one thing but also it does not give any colour to the timber.

Hi thanks yes it's Shiplap (pretty sure it's softwood). Which when i bought it i got it treated aswell (had that done free as bought so much wood) It's got a green tinge and not mould as such.

Thanks guys, do most diy sheds sell the stain you recommend?

Also how much is it a ltr, approx? And it is like normal paint use a good brush and not one that needs to be added via a dry cloth?

Latest posts

Back