Hissy fit down under

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being percieved as a gossip, has anyone else clocked the quite astounding 'handbags-at-dawn' antics on a certain ozzie forum? Like dear old Victor Meldrew, I can't believe that two men 'of a certain age' (?) are behaving quite so...so...so...immaturely. Thank Gawd that we have a sense of perspective and above all, humour, in Blighty.

I shudder to think what might have transpired over my ribald comments on this hallowed virtual ground a few weeks ago; a visit from the Taffia...it's too much to contemplate really.

While I was also tempted to ask for a link :oops: , I thought again. If we were indulging in a little friendly (or otherwise) disagreement I wouldn't be wildly pleased at finding other fora linking to us for the entertainment, so I think we might do well to do to others as we would have done to ourselves. Finding such a thing for yourself is quite a different matter of course, but linking to it smacks a little of voyeurism to my mind. YMMV.

Cheers, Alf

Taking the moral high ground to go with the salad she's eating 'cos "it's good for you". Rats. :(

Alf, I couldn't agree more; no voyeurism or gratuitous enjoyment at the expence of others please.

I posted my comments more in the spirit of eyes wide, ears laid back, profound astonishment that such things could be posted in such an open format that everyone could read.

Secondly, I was trying in my cack-handed way to contrast how everyone here indulged in good-natured banter over my sly dig at the Welsh nation compared to the pointed and acerbic character assasssination down under regarding what seemed to be a simple oversight. Like I said, cack-handed.

In the spirit of what Alf wrote, I will withdraw from further comment on the item.

Yours, slightly embarassed, Sam

Don't be embarrased, Sammie. It's no bad thing to realise how lucky we are that we all make such efforts to keep everything on an even keel on this forum. Not to get too 'Murrrican about it, but do feel free to all stand up and take a bow. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2do3zrjl said:
do feel free to all stand up and take a bow.

Does that mean there's an amnesty for all of us taking refuge in the bunker?

:D

Gill

I posted my comments more in the spirit of eyes wide, ears laid back, profound astonishment that such things could be posted in such an open format that everyone could read.

Isn't this a coded reference to some sort of dodgy 'adult' film?? :lol:

The first line of the first posting in this thread posed the question, "has anyone else clocked .....?" I had not, which is why I requested the link. I have no desire or intention to be voyeuristic but I do tend to look at other sites mentioned by members here and I presumed that as it was seen fit to start the thread, it referred to something worth reading. If it referred to a woodworking forum, it might have been of interest for other reasons, too.

The references to handbags-at-dawn, antics, Victor Meldrew, and immaturity did not give me the impression that it was a matter of such seriousness - and I still don't know, but I won't go searching for it. :wink:

Trev.

Hi Gill

Gill wrote:
Alf wrote:
do feel free to all stand up and take a bow.

Does that mean there's an amnesty for all of us taking refuge in the bunker?

Gill

It's light out there. What do I do now?

Cheers
Neil

Get back in yer hole before I set my block plane to ya...

:twisted:

damn Normites...

:wink:

Hi Mike

Midnight":1ynel8sr said:
Get back in yer hole before I set my block plane to ya... :twisted:

damn Normites... :wink:

I think you have me confused with someone else, or maybe not. :lol:

OK, I know the way back. No, on second thoughts the sun is shining and I did hold a handplane yesterday. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":2oj25om1 said:
OK, I know the way back. No, on second thoughts the sun is shining and I did hold a handplane yesterday. :roll:

Neil,

Careful this is one of the first steps on the top end of the SlopeTM maybe you should go hug the Jet SS, watch out for the grease on the way. :shock: :wink:

Neil I agree with Dave you need to curl up with a few power tools for a while. You can see what happens to people as the go down the slope.

Dave was close to the slope when he won that plane :mrgreen: but i'm glad to say he has shown quite some resistence :wink:

Bean

Hi Dave and Bean

DaveL":tsnl2jy9 said:
Careful this is one of the first steps on the top end of the SlopeTM maybe you should go hug the Jet SS, watch out for the grease on the way. :shock: :wink:

Thank you so much for the sensible advice. I feel much better now, even the thought of going off to London in the next hour, for work, seems quite appealing. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Well I like a gossip and a bit of voyeurism and the thread in question has been deleted/pruned etc. And I get vertigo sitting on a high horse. It's in the public domain, no point getting all religious about it.

Noel, not a Daily Mail reader.

OK, I know the way back. No, on second thoughts the sun is shining and I did hold a handplane yesterday.

well that's a start... but Neil.. tell me...

have ya sharpened it yet..???? with a micro bevel....?? maybe even the ruler trick....??????????

go onnnnnnnnnnn.... you know you want toooo

:twisted: :wink:

Noel":1kyy3ekf said:
Well I like a gossip and a bit of voyeurism and the thread in question has been deleted/pruned etc. And I get vertigo sitting on a high horse. It's in the public domain, no point getting all religious about it.
Evidently your milage does vary.

Noel":1kyy3ekf said:
Noel, not a Daily Mail reader.
I've racked my brains about this overnight, and it's no good - what's the relevance? I'm not a Daily Mail, Daily Express, Daily Mirror, Daily Star, Daily Telegraph, Times, Financial Times, Guardian, Sun, independent, Le Monde, Washington Post, Corriere della Sera, Racing Post, or West Drayton and District Advertiser* reader either. So? :-s

Cheers, Alf

*Okay, that's probably a made up one.

Miles? Not sure I understand. No different to posting a link to a media site etc to highlight an incident or an opinion etc.
Daily Mail? Not a reference to newspaper reading, more descriptive of a person's point of view.

Noel":1p5nomup said:
Miles? Not sure I understand.
When I voiced my opinion, I used the 'Murricanism "YMMV" - Your Mileage May Vary. Meaning you may have a a different opinion. And you do.

And because I'd sooner we weren't linked to in an Aussie forum, I'll leave you to your opinion and move on.

Cheers, Alf

Back