Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a cabinet and now need to hang the door.

The whole thing is made from plywood and the door measures 600mm by 300mm by 18mm (not very big at all)

It's not a fussy job, i.e. not a piece of furniture and, I am wondering what hings to use. My main concern is how to overcome the possibility that the door might tend to 'drop' as it is twice as wide as it is high.

I will be most appreciative of any recommendations. Thank you.

I'd avoid standard butt hinges as you are likly to be fitting one part into the edge of the ply.
kitchen cupboard type hinges should do as these mount in/on the face of the timber. Check that the depth of the hole required is less that the ply thickness. Shallower hinges are available that should work with 18mm door, if not, mount on a spacer to thicken up the door in the region of the hinge.
Next time design before you build lol

Thank you for your input Myfordman, Strangely enough I was just having a mooch around my workshop and I found a box of kitchen hinges and the thought crossed my mind that these might do the job. I also found the required 35mm bit to fit them.

I think that I will give this a go. Thanks again for your help.

Back