Hinges help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Me again.
Im thinking of hingeing my 2 bits of wood, like a book, using butterfly hinges.

Should I drill holes for the screws?

Does there have to be a gap between the 2 bits of wood, if so how wide?

Thanks

WW: I would say that predrilling is usually the right thing to do, certainly in hardwood, even more so if using brass screws that can shear off easily if you are having to force them in.
Measure the diameter of the screw between the threads, and drill that size or just under.
If there is a non-threaded part of the shank, in some cases it helps to drill the first part of the hole to that diameter too.

Lubricate the screws with a bit of wax and you can save some effort driving them in.

Miles

Miles968":37yy1yny said:
Measure the diameter of the screw between the threads, and drill that size or just under.

Miles

I understand the words measure, daimeter, screw, thresd,drill and size, but put them togethera and you get one confused wonderwoman.

So do you mean drill a hole a little under the size of the bit with the thread on?

You should drill the hole just under the diameter of the central solid part of the screw.

Also, depending on your hinges, you will probably need a gap between the two pieces to avoid them binding together.

HTH
J

How big a gap?
the hinges are3.8cm across, the pivoty bit in the middle is abot 5mm, so leave a gap of 2mm??

Ive glued a piece of felt to one of the wood blanks, like a stick down page, now Im marking out the position of the holes to screw in the hinge.

The felt means there is a 2mm gap, is that enough so the bits of wood will open?

Am worrying too much?

Miles968":29on29pe said:
Lubricate the screws with a bit of wax and you can save some effort driving them in. Miles

Candles are good for lubricating the screw threads - if you don't have any wax polish etc lying about - doesn't just make them easy to screw them in, it stops the screw shearing off - leaving a small stub in the wood which is difficult if not impossible to remove. DAMHIKT. :oops:

Adam

Broken screw are very hard to remove with the right tool.
I have been using one for years that has got me out of a few problems
It is better to get some silver steel or some thing like that.
If you have plug cutters then get your steel to match ,eg 13mm plug cutter 13 steel bar ( round bar ). if you know some one that will do it for you or you can do it your self if you have a good drill press.
1/ Cut a lenght 75mm long and carefully drill throught the middle, leaving a wall of about 2m.
2/ File saw teeth in one end and you will find you have one great broken screw remover \:D/
I have used it on antique table tops to remove screw without the prolem of going throught, you should feel the drill go loose when you get to the bottom of the screw.
I will try to post a picture of my two.
I hope that helps for next time :-#

Latest posts

Back