Hinges for outdoor kitchen, inspire me!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making some doors for an outdoor kitchen area, they average about 500 wide x 600 high, some have slightly arched tops. They will just be a ledged and braced design in ex 25mm Oak, probably left unfinished. It's really just a BBQ and pizza oven area with a Belfast sink and slate worktops built out of clamp bricks.

I'm looking for inspiration for the door hinges. The original image the customer showed me had some black face fixed half butterfly style hinges but the image also showed bad black staining in the Oak which we want to avoid, plus the decent ones are about £25 a pair. I know we should really go for stainless steel but all the stainless ones I have seen look like they belong on a boat and won't really match the rustic look they are going for. My current thinking is just some 3" brass butts chopped in to the edge of the boards of the door as they will be about 22mm thick same as the leaf on the hinge but this just seems wrong although I'm sure it would work fine. Some proper galvanised (not BZP) 100mm T hinges might get approval but not sure if they would stain the Oak?

Anybody got any inspiration for me?

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug,
I did an outdoor garden a few years back for the RHS Chelsea (silver :)). I know your on a budget but have a look at what local chandlery's have (or online).
If it's good enough for a boat it's good enough for an outdoor kitchen.

I can post images if you are interested?

Hi Doug,
I did an outdoor garden a few years back for the RHS Chelsea (silver :)). I know your on a budget but have a look at what local chandlery's have (or online).
If it's good enough for a boat it's good enough for an outdoor kitchen.

I can post images if you are interested?

Yes please, always good to see a few pics (y)

0zA1mfq.jpg

WfqpQCH.jpg

Thanks Bob, quite different to the one I'm working on as it's mainly brick.

I always wonder what happens to these things when the shows are over, hope it wasn't just skipped?

Thanks Bob, quite different to the one I'm working on as it's mainly brick.

I always wonder what happens to these things when the shows are over, hope it wasn't just skipped?

The garden designer tried to sell it, but I think it ended up in her garden. I think she has gone on to do big things. I enjoyed the experience but wouldn't do anything like this again, I run a commercial business with the aim of making money. With a lot of these types of shows, people tend to drag you in on the premise that it will be good for business, it wasn't :)

Just an off the wall thought, how about no hinges at all and the doors are held in place with magnets all round and maybe a strip of wood or brass pins to sit it on at the bottom, just pull the door off when you want something and then stick it back on. Don’t blame me it was just a daft idea flashed through my brain. Ian

Doors are now on, customer went with the original butterfly style hinges that they liked, they do suit the whole look. The hinges are meant to be suitable for outdoor use, better be considering the price!

There used to be a small fountain coming out of the old wall behind which was pretty naff, I think the kitchen that replaces it looks like it was always meant to be there.

I think it has made a great space for entertaining.

They are just waiting on the plumber fitting the taps, tradesmen eh :rolleyes:

outdoor kitchen 1.jpg

outdoor kitchen 2.jpg

outdoor kitchen 3.jpg

Although really lovely and a great job, not really much use in Yorkshire if Jacob is to be believed

Hinges by From the anvil?

Just an off the wall thought, how about no hinges at all and the doors are held in place with magnets all round and maybe a strip of wood or brass pins to sit it on at the bottom, just pull the door off when you want something and then stick it back on. Don’t blame me it was just a daft idea flashed through my brain. Ian

French cleats? I did that once on a small door covering utility meters, had a couple of rounded edge finger holes so you could lift it out

Yep, i used them a couple of years back, nice looking kit. I'd be interested to hear how they hold up outside (y)

Attachments

• 20171218_115509.jpg
    20171218_115509.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20171123_111036.jpg
    20171123_111036.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 4
Hinges by From the anvil?

French cleats? I did that once on a small door covering utility meters, had a couple of rounded edge finger holes so you could lift it out
Like the idea of cleats to hold a panel in place, especially indoors, in stormy weather I'd be less keen on them outdoors

Like the idea of cleats to hold a panel in place, especially indoors, in stormy weather I'd be less keen on them outdoors

Yep, these were inside under a staircase. The limited room meant we couldnt have the door swinging open :)

Back