Hinge recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, I'm looking for hinge recommendations for a blanket chest. The top rail thickness it 18mm and I was going to use a gas strut to stop it slamming shut once i find one i like the look of. cheers

cheers Doug, the design of the panels won't allow for those style of hinges, I was thinking of using a cranked hinge. but i did think a photo may help with ideas

Attachments

• IMG-20200507-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0002.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG-20200507-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0003.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 113
Go to Marches and search for their best quality brass butt hinges and No.7 screws. I recently finished this one....

IMG_4566.jpg

...with a very heavy, solid top.

It's hinged with three...

IMG_4561.jpg

...of these 65mm brass butts. If you set the hinges in so the knuckle is offset as shown in the pic, the lid will stay up on it's own as it comes to rest just past the vertical position. No need for a stay - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 86
woodbloke66":y3fkvpwq said:
Go to Marches and search for their best quality brass butt hinges and No.7 screws. I recently finished this one....

...of these 65mm brass butts. If you set the hinges in so the knuckle is offset as shown in the pic, the lid will stay up on it's own as it comes to rest just past the vertical position. No need for a stay - Rob

I was going to PM you to ask why you did that, now it makes sense, thanks. :D

thetyreman":2q1px0v9 said:
woodbloke66":2q1px0v9 said:

I was going to PM you to ask why you did that, now it makes sense, thanks. :D

I should have added that the lid has an overhang at the front and rear of about 10mm, so as it comes to rest just past the vertical, the gap at the rear is taken up with a few of those little round silicone 'bumper buttons' that are fitted on kitchen drawers/doors etc. If they weren't fitted the lid would come to rest at say 20 or 30 deg past the vertical which is obviously way too much - Rob

Back