Hinge innovation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a storage box for a DMM (multi-meter).
6mm ply more than adequate. 6x9x2"
I want a simple hinged lid.

Thinking of cloth / canvas, glued to the box inside?

Any more innovative ideas please?

Three or four large fingers with a stiff wire running through as a hinge, I’ve often used leather glued on or you could use leather shoelaces threaded, alternatively don’t hinge it and just have strong magnets to hold the lid on, or a sliding pencil case lid in grooves. Ian
( Ps I don’t think the lid would open if you glued it on on the inside of the box))

live hinges like breaking. I've used seatbelt webbing a few times for this sort of thing, but normally I sandwich it between wooden slips on the lid and box so it can be removed and replaced when it dies.

I've also used piano hinge a few times on similar projects. normally riveted as the sides are so thin.

Very small piano-type hinge given the size of the box. cloth and leather hinges will require fiddling when they find their way loose or something fails (adding more fixtures to restrict the forces on them gets harder than just locating a small piano-style hinge.

Back