hinge advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have built an airing cupboard, the frame work is 45mm x 45mm. I wish to hang a flat foiled door covering as much as possible of the front and there is wall to the side I'd like to hang it. All the hinges I've seen are for kitchen type cabinets - can anyone suggest a hinge that would mount to the 45mm x45mm that ideally would swing the door clear of the wall?

Hi Phil, sorry there is nothing springing to mind, you either have a gap the thickness of the door on that side and use ordinary hinges or you’re back to Kitchen style ones as far as I know, let’s hope somebody else that knows a bit more is coming along soon. Ian

Google "Cranked hinges". All sorts of shapes and sizes

Thanks. The problem with the kitchen cupboard type hinges is that they are designed to be fitted in a flat pack type unit - I have a 45mm square timber to mount them to so the inner part of the hinge is in the wrong plane - I could mount them, but the edge of the door would nowhere near cover the timber. I was aware of cranked hinges, but I was hoping someone would come up with a suggestion more suitable for hanging a relatively thin MDF door.

Thanks. The problem with the kitchen cupboard type hinges is that they are designed to be fitted in a flat pack type unit - I have a 45mm square timber to mount them to so the inner part of the hinge is in the wrong plane - I could mount them, but the edge of the door would nowhere near cover the timber. I was aware of cranked hinges, but I was hoping someone would come up with a suggestion more suitable for hanging a relatively thin MDF door.
Sorry not exactly sure what your problem is. Can you post photo of the problem?

mount with the knuckle peeping around the edge and overlay the door it does give a tiny gap but nothing noticeable.

I think the issue you have is the same my brother had.

Your 45mm thick "side" means that if you mount a kitchen hinge designed go into 18mm sides, the door won't cover your whole 45mm side and will leave a bit protruding on the hinge side.

If that's the case, notch your 45mm timber down to 18mm like he did.

Are you still looking for a solution? If so I will try and post a picture of a hinge that might well do what

Sorry not exactly sure what your problem is. Can you post photo of the problem?
Not easily atm - I'm on a new computer. The framework is 45mm square and I would like the door to cover it. I'd rather not use bog standard hinges as the door will only be 15mm or 18mm MDF and my family will have the door off in no time.
I think the issue you have is the same my brother had.

Your 45mm thick "side" means that if you mount a kitchen hinge designed go into 18mm sides, the door won't cover your whole 45mm side and will leave a bit protruding on the hinge side.

If that's the case, notch your 45mm timber down to 18mm like he did.
I think this might be the way to go.

These hinges will to a degree do what you want, but the base plate covers about 60mm so you will need to pack out your 45mm another 15mm and they need a space of about 10mm between the back of the door and the face of your frame so you might want to recess them into the frame.
They are washing machine hinges , for fitting a door onto the front of a integrated washing machine, I think these were supplied with a machine but never used.
20210412_160245.jpg

20210412_160234.jpg

Another option could be to fit a centre hinge and socket or a cranked centre hinge. These fit in the door end and in the frame. The hinge and socket allows you to flush fit the door face with the frame and the cranked one can be flush or have the door cover the frame. I think these could work given my understanding of things. Good luck.

Back