Himalayan Birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I visited an Axminster store for the first time at the weekend (the one in North Shields). The sheer size and amount of kit on display was impressive - even more so than a Woodcraft I went to in Knoxville in the States.

Whilst I was in there, I picked up this piece of Himalayan Birch. Has anybody used it before? It seems pretty soft. This bit has some interesting figure, so I might try using it some some box lids I have planned...

8yG_MenAThvnscs-e4GvR5wDI2cygdO4jFQw9MX6meNBlfrJF9pl3_yHnoLa74bMnzBitK6fga_eDANj0USeST34BdU7FufJ7GM2NEm0BwNCSC3fNXZsBvRJla2AqFXGaWcZda9sBFpXaqqcBkmMP3GfFlnsC8qbCq5BKCqfksVNmwZsYkdc2nlKTAoqfJL4bJnSXD90XVlQCnrkSVMWoHAzgTe0Yp0qvbujzVSfKKwblehq0_0MIf9RB1PV98xDIr1Y0VhO0hnv7h4g4fzzR49ZbuopJ9BdkOrqRdNDniqopkR-f_bCrLsE95olM0NzoCKorLo83vAyStmcjoiJhQjOCOEMR2JQwJu9F5CdNtAPHVeZ1lJNL3lqoL_VVsh5nUiClLnpF--kaM6XqfHZoy4ZIa5Vi2SUVo9JqObTjB3GNUsCP7tD3mXbvkMD2HaqDRlb0foFVdJrKltLD8GguOp51zmTfLM0jzeOBByD0gtWoemxO9oacu_zc4UAhr0CD7E230le79X987zjHLOk_aRn7xbDiJ5yJjmHehWdEk034qSEP9g5VAxnCdo83dAKR3Q_u-X9W1rNccWaVID6U692CSnvEU0AjDj24Cbc3p6euJCEB_nPgnkovHP6MtzAfIlOUDCNQoopLbX-4CPY3-Y-SuW3CUxhB4cMFNl_ZLUug6Uu_ZFKDVg3Vzmuqup0yu31JYfX1NX8Xheoi0Hh15eLQQ=w549-h975-no

Trevanion":25xgp6vs said:
Nice piece of spalted birch, not sure about the Himalayan bit though.
Fair enough. But the sticker says it is, so it must be true :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Suffolkboy":1q7uv4qo said:
Himalayan Birch from High Spen?
I think Himalayan refers to the species rather than a place of origin. :)

Although, no doubt that's where species naturally grows...

It is a species of Birch:

'Himalayan Birch
Betula utilis is a birch tree native to the Himalayas, growing at elevations up to 4,500 m. The specific epithet, utilis, refers to the many uses of the different parts of the tree. The white, paper-like bark of the tree was used in ancient times for writing Sanskrit scriptures and texts'.

Interesting stuff - Rob

Bodgers":vw7gimwp said:
Suffolkboy":vw7gimwp said:
Himalayan Birch from High Spen?
I think Himalayan refers to the species rather than a place of origin. :)

Although, no doubt that's where species naturally grows...

Whoops.

Yeah I realise that, There was meant to be more to that post, somehow my phone chopped it off.

I googled Himalayan Birch to see what it looked like, seems to largely be an ornamental species in this country. Odd that it might be in a plantation destined for wood work, I wonder where it came from if it is Himalayan Birch rather than say, Silver Birch.

Interesting.

Nice looking bit of wood. Will be interested to see what you make of it.

Back