HIghway code sign?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Out in the car yesterday and doing a short cut like a rat run I came across this sign, what does it mean please?

It is a no stopping or parking sign but has the additional instruction, "E controlled area" ??????????

highwaycodew.jpg

Attachments

• highwaycodew.jpg
    highwaycodew.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,368
I'm on holiday at the moment - I have the "Signs Manual" at home but would hazard a guess and say it was an Emission Control Zone?

Rod

Harbo":w0b3635s said:
Emission Control Zone? Rod

Didn't that used to be called a 'No Farting Zone', before it was deemed to be politically incorrect?

Roy

Out in the car again yesterday I found another two newly erected signs the same, these are in a School zone where previously parents clog up a main carriage route (A road). and a little further on the unrestricted signs are then in place.

Perhaps its to let drivers know that the area is only for school parking facilities or some thing :wink:

So why no publicity on these signs if they are new?

Still no information on a serious and national situation?????????????????????

We could all fail a driving test?

Perhaps the E stands for Entrance (schools etc.)

Blister":27dyr4fl said:
Entrance to
controlled
parking zone

Thanks Blister, they are new signs in our area, I suppose they mean more strict than double yellow lines which can be used to unload etc. Hence their use in that school locality.

devonwoody":31xg8qdo said:
Blister":31xg8qdo said:
Entrance to
controlled
parking zone

Thanks Blister, they are new signs in our area, I suppose they mean more strict than double yellow lines which can be used to unload etc. Hence their use in that school locality.

That just does not sound right!

I am more inclined to believe it is 'emissions'. After all saving the planet seems to be the overriding aim of all councils at present.

I think an email to the local authority is in order. There is no way they should be putting up signs that cause confusion, while you are looking at, wondering what they mean you could crash.

Mick

I wonder what else they use to designate the area - they's already a proliferation of signage restricting parking/waiting etc ?
It must be pretty new - I could not find it in my Signs Manual nor on the DOT HA web site?
Is there one for Exit or End of Controlled Area?

Rod

Yes there is another sign around 250 yards further on at the school site showing end of zone.

The original sign was in a purely residential area and that is only for around 200 yards, no school but a very old Pub.(named The Devon Dumpling)

I am going that way later today I will try and get a photograph. (but I musnt stop, must I? :) )

I only remember half of the signs I had to learn to get my license (about 25 years ago...)
Maybe I should stop by at the print shop later to get a copy of all those signs that I can put in my car :)
How are we supposed to know what all those different and new signs mean?!

You could get hold of the latest version of "The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions" published by the TSO - which all road signs and markings have to comply with (by Law).

There is this (but not quite up to date?): http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191955.pdf

The old sign for no parking etc at schools was a series of yellow zig zags and lines with the words school written on the road surface - much more obvious and visible?

Rod

devonwoody":2900hw9l said:
I think when you renew your road tax you should be informed of any new highway code additions if any at the time.

Yebbut...without wanting to go over too much old ground - there is no such thing as road tax - though I do agree that the designers of the sign you spotted have failed to make its purpose clear.

OK here is the sign

2012_0821sign0001w.jpg

It would appear that the whole residential area is flooded with this sign. I assume the problem is because there are two grammar schools with a high intake of sixth formers and parking for something like 300/500 kids and their cars has caused chaos.

Even those double yellow lines was not enough deterrent. :) Because I suppose their mums paid the fines.

Attachments

• 2012_0821sign0001w.jpg
    2012_0821sign0001w.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 718

Latest posts

Back