Highlighting engraving in lead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are different ways of measuring value than with pound notes. It'll hang on the wall of the house it came off and if we ever leave the house it can stay there.

I think it's a great way to preserve the history at the same time as fixing your roof, I would do the same thing.

When Bob has outlived his usefulness it's off to the Soylent Green factory.

Anyway you can make a frame with some raking light, perhaps an LED or two on one side of the frame? A little like a shadow box.

Provocative? me? :oops: :cool:
But seriously... if you had left it attached to the house, thats provenance. But a detached piece of lead with a scrawl on it, thats just a piece of lead with a scrawl on it. Theres no way you can prove you took it from the house, so its purely a sentimental piece for you. You could have just written it yourself and you have no way of proving otherwise.

I used to enjoy looking at old buildings with date stones, and wandering round old church yards. I'm not a complete philistine. :rolleyes:

Fully agree Nick M. If we can identify the men and women who made the things we still use today and took the trouble to inscribe them, then I am all for preserving history.

There are some very good ideas here (other than Bob's "take it down to the scrap yard" o_O).

It's a teeny bit of lead, not worth much on it's own, the scrap man will most likely pay you in coppers. you can way those in too if you want, they've got someones scrawl on them too.

I melted all the lead down that came of our house during the rebuild. I made gravity clamps with it. :)

I cant understand how many of you are so sentimental. But then again, it seems most woodworkers here actively seek out old houses to live in and modify. :rolleyes:
Having been born and grown up in a victorian terrace in which every window rattled from bomb damage, and freezing every winter because the place could not be warmed regardless of how much coal was put on the fires, maybe thats why I'm happy with modern centrally heated (and lately air conditioned) houses. :cool:
I've also taken many tons of metal to scrap yards over the years, so one piece of lead is just like any other piece of lead to me.
As an interesting side note, Cyprus is a lead free country. They have no concept of the metal.

As an interesting side note, Cyprus is a lead free country. They have no concept of the metal.
Yet they named the place after copper (or vice versa?)?!
I know that the Danes - bless them - have banned the use of lead as a building material.

Yes, not sure which came fist, but I know a man 5 years older than me who grew up at the copper mining village called morfu. But thats all on the turkish side so I dont know if any is still mined. Definitely none on the Cypriot side. There are also asbestos mines here. Can you believe there is a village called Asbestos? not many tourists go there.

But lead, and brass, are just foreign names here. The rooves are edged with cement, which is awful as it dries back and lets rain in. I've had to rubber paint my tiled garage roof edges three times because the cement just pull away from the walls.

Back