high quality gloss finish that is flawless. Any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

I've got some really nice Zebrano wood and I want a high quality gloss finish that is flawless. Any ideas?

What are you making/have you made with it ?

i.e. friction polish gives a nice finish if you are turning something,but depending on what you are using it for,something like varnish may be more appropriate.(More information will hopefully lead to more answers :) )

Andrew

I'd use Rustins Two-part clear finish. It's self-levelling to a great degree, providing you mix as described and follow the directions. Here's an example:

zebrabwl.jpg

Ray.

Hi Ray, how do you manage 'the join' so to speak if coating an 'in the round' object such as a bowl as opposed to a flat surface. Do you go through the Rustins multi coat proceedure of flattening and then burnishing? (long process)

I have been contemplating this finish for some turned boxes but am unsure on how to proceed, I struggle even using a melamine reinforced sealer to cover all sides without the 'join' showing.

So far I have managed to disguise the holding point in a machining recess or pin point support but I am struggling with items like this with holding features removed.

CHJ":3rvisqiu said:
Hi Ray, how do you manage 'the join' so to speak if coating an 'in the round' object such as a bowl as opposed to a flat surface.
Once you get used to it, you can coat both sides of a mounted bowl, then remove the whole assembly and stand it upright on the chuck. This allows the self-levelling to do its stuff.

Do you go through the Rustins multi coat proceedure of flattening and then burnishing? (long process)
I usually apply a second coat right at the limit of the suggested time, then leave the piece for at least 24 and more usually 48 hours, in a dry cool place, before burnishing. Works a treat. Usual disclaimer - no connection with Rustins, other than as a satisfied customer.

HTH

Ray.

Thanks for the reply Ray, I will give it a try, do you bother to coat the holding recess after main body is set?

I think I will try and develope a system of holding jigs that will allow support whilst coating and drying in place of removing the chuck assembly for the smaller batch items as finishing takes longer than turning and small quantity mixing is wasteful, my major problem with lacquer type finishes is that most of my bowls do not have a holding feature on completion now.

Got to Go in a hurry now am being attacked by a very menacing Dalek.

I'm making a coffee table which will have a glass top on it and I want the side to match the reflective top.

Thanks for the suggestions

Back