High gloss panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterleyton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need a bit of advice on high gloss panels.
First question what shine level should I chose I'm buying Morrells 2pak paints.
Also correct me if I'm wrong about whole polishing process. I will spray few coats of primer denibing between each coat. Few good coats I would say 5 of top coat. Sanding with 600, 800, 1200 to achieve flatness and last polishing with T-cut to achieve glossy wet look. All comments very welcome.

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

funny enough I was in Morrells yesterday. on the wall is a nicely sprayed panel. one side was 2pak 90% sheen from the gun , next to is was the same paint but it was burnished. the difference was quite noticeable and it definitely had the deep gloss lustre, with very little left of the easy to tell spray finish.
might save you a load of work going through all those grits!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Two good wet coats of Morrells high build primer, flat down with 320/400 grit, then on with two good wet coats of 90% sheen top coat. One day later flat down with 1200 grit paper wet and machine polish to a high deep gloss. HTH. :wink:

Thanks Mailee,
Do you think T-cut is the way to go or would you recommend something else. Which pad for compounding is the best?

I use a product called Presta, it is in between 'T' cut and G3 compound. I think 'T' cut is a bit too fine as it's more of a glazing polish. You could always use Farecla G3 thinned with a little water though. I use a lambs wool mop on my machine as i find the foam heads too harsh. HTH. :wink: Also check out Magiures as they do some good burnishing creams.

Do you think I should go trough all grits to 1200 or just wet flating with 1200 will do? Also machine wet sanding or hand and how to avoid going trough on the edges?
Thx

Do you guys think Earlex 5000 will handle spraying or shell I look in to more advance machines?
Thx

No Peter, I just go straight to 1200 for the final finish. All you are trying to achieve is a flat surface free of defects. I do use a random orbital palm sander for this with plenty of water with a drop of washing up liquid in it. as for the edges yu have to be very careful with these as they will go through easily. I tape the edges up with masking tape and keep just off them. (this is for 1200 sanding and polishing) I never try to sand or polish the edges but just leave them with a light hand polish. I am afraid I can't comment on the Earlex system as I have never used them but maybe someone on here could help on that. :wink:

doctor Bob":vy02wdtk said:
You'd be better off with a PU rather than an ac paint.

You've wetted my interest and I'd love to know more. Please explain further.

Thanks guys for all your advice and comments. I'll be starting them on Tuesday with my new machine won last night Fuji Q3 :). Can't wait for arrival.

Hi Mailee,

Could you advise me on wet sanding discs where you buy them and brand you recommend, cos after searching web it looks most of 1200 Velcro discs are dry only.
Thanks

Peter

I use this company on E-bay for my 1200 discs which can be used wet or dry:http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Nu-Agane-Car-Paints-01234-355990/Abrasives-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=3195776&_sid=40587497&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2 Bob is right, I had forgotten about the PU paints which really are good for this sort of job. Slightly more expensive but give an amazing build and are as hard as nails once cured. Only don't leave it for more than a day before flatting and polishing as it is then very hard work! :wink:

Yes Peter, Morrells do a range of PU paints. If you check their website they are on there with the info on them. I think they are mixed at a ratio of 3 to 1 if I remember correctly. it is used just the same as the AC paints but cures slightly slower (It is still pretty quick drying though) It does set extremely hard though and if left for a few days before flatting and polishing it is like trying to polish a diamond! :shock:

Alan
How glossy is the finished compared to a high gloss foil/vinyl wrapped door???

Only asking As I am now looking at setting up my own Paint booth and station rather than keep sending it out to the Spraying company that i use LOL
Although I know nothing about paints :twisted: :twisted:
Roger

:lol: Yes as Houtslager has stated you will soon learn. It is a slippery slope once you start in setting up a spray booth. You can get a very good finish matching if not surpassing a vinyl wrapped door but it does take some work. I am afraid there is no quick fix and it is a learning curve just like any skill set. the best advice I can give is to start with a cheapish set up and make sure everything is meticulously clean. Get yourself some test panels and pracitce, practice, practice. Follow the mixing instructions and explore the gun settings before committing to the real thing. HTH. :wink:

Back