High Angle Smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Ciao,
I would have pleasure to share some pics of a smoother I built in the last days.
Woods are ash for the main body and wenge for sole and wedge. I used an old (new) iron by Irsch (2 1/8"). It is bedded at 60° for the purpose of planing harder and figured woods. The plane body stock has been obtained by vertical union of three pieces of ash about 2 1/4" thick.
I had some doubt about the 60° bed, as a #4 1/2 I have with a angle like this, is too much hard to push but, evidently, the wood sole helps and this smoother can be used without excessive effort.

2mry6iq.jpg

vih1jl.jpg

seyph5.jpg

qnwsp0.jpg

fcjwc4.jpg

317i4hg.jpg

sl4net.jpg

Ciao

Giuliano :D

Very nice indeed, I imagine the wedge will work well as it feels like it has natural oils in it. And is that a number on the back? Could be 760... So a production run then :lol:

Harbo":1qn58tp8 said:
Looks like S60 to me - for 60degree slope?

Rod

Yep, another slope just got steeper!

Super looking work in a strong tradition. At first I thought, 'why bother making a trad smoother when they are so easy to find' - but this is special, with its laminated sole and high pitch.

Thanks for yours compliments!

condeesteso":30val8ge said:
Very nice indeed, I imagine the wedge will work well as it feels like it has natural oils in it. And is that a number on the back? Could be 760... So a production run then :lol:

I just wanted try my letter stamp punches. :mrgreen:
S is for "Smoother"
60, yes, is the pitch.
May be the plane can be improved. Someone pointed out to me the wedge is a little bit too short in the middle, although I saw other old traditional smoothers with similar wedges. However, the blade seems to me firmly held and plane has no chattering.

That is really nice Giuliano, wouldnt worry about comments re the size of the wedge, the main consideration is how it performs.
Well Done (hammer)

What I want to know is where is the designer striped shirt!!!? :mrgreen:

Don't think just because you are creating "old traditional" you have the right to dress down! That would be letting other Neapolitan artisans down....you might even get banned from the Guild!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously though my friend...wonderful piece of craftsmanship!

I have a desire to create a rectangular mitre plane out of contrasting woods one day...I think lignum vitae and hard maple but not sure yet.

Once again...a triumph mate!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim

jimi43":snsdszo9 said:
What I want to know is where is the designer striped shirt!!!? :mrgreen:

Don't think just because you are creating "old traditional" you have the right to dress down! That would be letting other Neapolitan artisans down....you might even get banned from the Guild!!! :mrgreen:

I just purchased this! But I will dress it only for UK friends :mrgreen:

23mo8qf.jpg

Back