Higgs Boson

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric The Viking":2i06m5ho said:
... even some in Weston-super-Mare (and we all know there's absolutely NOTHING there at all)...
You're forgetting the mud. They have loads of that there :)

If we don't try to push the boundaries and learn and discover more we are nothing, it's essential to our advancement as a species.

cambournepete":1rjknqxa said:
Eric The Viking":1rjknqxa said:
... even some in Weston-super-Mare (and we all know there's absolutely NOTHING there at all)...
You're forgetting the mud. They have loads of that there :)

If we don't try to push the boundaries and learn and discover more we are nothing, it's essential to our advancement as a species.

But I already knew about the mud (some things you try not to think about - there's miles of it!).

So I think I'm getting this now:

They actually spent all that in NIGHTCLUBS, so that my 10p would be worth only, er, 0.6p, and the rest is NOT down the sofa at all* but buried somewhere in the vast empty** expanse of Weston MUD; This is ESSENTIAL to our advancement as a species.

That's sort-of OK: I've been underground a lot, and it's always really muddy (apart from the underwater bits).

That's a lot like Weston***.

But the last bit still doesn't make sense: nobody--but NOBODY--ever advances in Weston MUD.

Amazing stuff this science. Way beyond me, obviously.

E.

*I don't think this is remotely believable, but hey, even Stephen Hawking lost that bet, apparently.

**not really -- with my 9.4p in it actually, but 'empty' for very large values of mud (yup, that's Weston!)

***"It's mud but not as we know it, Jim" (Bones, USS Enterprise),
"It's hougherrible!" (Prof. Quatermass' assistant),
"Run!" (Dr. Who),
"I"m stuck!" (Dr. Who's assistant),
"Call the RAC." (Trigger)

At the moment I don't think anyone is expecting to discover dark matter in your 10 pence piece.

It is certainly true that 94% of the universe is "missing" but we probably won't find much, or perhaps any, dark matter here on earth. We know this because things like 10p pieces (and everything else) weigh what you would expect them too if they contained only matter. When we "weigh" a galaxy though we discover that it's far too light for the matter we can observe hence the conclusion that there is dark matter that we can't see. Oddly enough although we can't see dark matter we have started to make maps showing where it is based on it's interactions with matter we can see.

Congratulations to everyone at CERN for a job well done. Fingers crossed the Higgs turns out to not properly fit the standard model.

Two dyslexic skiers were on the slopes arguing; "it's zag-zig, zag-zig" ...."no" says the other "it's zig-zag, zig-zag".
They call to another chap "can you settle this argument for us" and explain their dilemma; he says "I'm sorry I can't help, I'm a tabogganist"
"Oh well in that case can I have 20 Embassy No.1 and a box of matches"

I think it's traditional to reach for one's coat at this point.

Back