HiFi and Hollow Forms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
myturn":1karqaod said:
RogerS":1karqaod said:
No..this is a large home hi-fi speaker!

John Crabbe ..editor of HiFi news back in the late 60's built these two large concrete horn speakers in his sitting room. They sounded pretty damn good as I recall.
Wonder what he'd do, or did, if he ever moved house? #-o
I read somewhere of speakers being built in to the house using voids in the floor and other places as the horn. But powered by fairly cheap speakers, the sound quality being in the horn construction. Is this viable or just badly remembered?
What about the organ? I've been in churches (Durham Cathedral particularly) during a virtuoso practice sessions and the sound was amazing, like nothing I'd ever heard anywhere else. Can you get that at home, would you need serried ranks of speakers like organ pipes, or just the right compact kit?

You can make some Lowther Acoustas - I think the drivers are still available?
Folded horn design.

The was a story of a man in Japan who had a house backing onto a mountain. He excavated some enormous horns into the mountain side leading into his listening room?

People used have pairs of quadruple stacked Quad Electrostatics!
And there are people who have their turntable sitting on a concrete pile driven through their floor.

myturn":3jbvfkl4 said:
RogerS":3jbvfkl4 said:
No..this is a large home hi-fi speaker!

John Crabbe ..editor of HiFi news back in the late 60's built these two large concrete horn speakers in his sitting room. They sounded pretty damn good as I recall.
Wonder what he'd do, or did, if he ever moved house? #-o

I think the idea was that the speakers moved the house for him!

E.

Jacob":2ia1fl75 said:
I read somewhere of speakers being built in to the house using voids in the floor and other places as the horn. But powered by fairly cheap speakers, the sound quality being in the horn construction. Is this viable or just badly remembered?
It's been done. There's a really elegant example I've seen somewhere on the net of a pair of folded horns, built as brick labyrinths under the floor.

But bear in mind that it doesn't buy you everything. At bass frequencies, loudspeaker cones act as pistons. Just like in a car, if they move in free space, they don't do any work, as the air can move round the sides too easily. They also move too far in and out. The horn design is a sort of acoustic transformer, changing the big cone excursion (as much as an inch or more on a really big drive unit) into smaller pressure waves over a much wider area - the equivalent of what you hear naturally. This does work pretty well, and folded horns are used in many large PA systems, to couple the bass units to the air more efficiently. They often have very large cones too, and the labyrinth has another purpose, which also applies to mid-sized speakers in hi-fi designs: it couples the space inside, behind the bass unit to the outer air. In theory the delay from the labyrinth would be 1/2 wavelength of the sound you want to reproduce, so bigger = lower.

What about the organ? I've been in churches (Durham Cathedral particularly) during a virtuoso practice sessions and the sound was amazing, like nothing I'd ever heard anywhere else. Can you get that at home, would you need serried ranks of speakers like organ pipes, or just the right compact kit?

There are three problems:

1. the ability of the system to reproduce the 'sound'. The lowest rank of pipes in a properly indecent organ is usually 32ft. That's 10m, so the lowest 'note' is roughly 16.5Hz (assuming 1/2 wave). That's at roughly the bottom end of human hearing - below that we tend to perceive pressure waves as individual thumps rather than a 'sound'. And you can achieve lower notes still by 'beating' notes together. It's true those pipes usually don't speak on their own, but are added to the overall organ sound either in sympathy or dissonance (if it's Messiaen!).

Then you've got the building resonances. Apparently my dad got into trouble at school by sneaking into the chapel (with his brother!) and beating the lowest rank of pipes together in pairs until they found the building's resonances and nearly removed the window glass. It's impossible to divorce the cathedral organ as an instrument from the building it's situated in. I've been told that in certain places, certain combinations of stops and notes are banned, because of the risk of damage (but it may be an urban myth). But you can definitely create very low frequencies at quite significant amplitudes (loudness), vibrations you feel rather than hear.

How you make a hi-fi system to produce such sound is thoroughly non-trivial. Ignoring what plays the sound in the first place, the amplifier and loudspeaker systems become pretty complex and big!

2. what was originally recorded and mastered: Digital systems in common use usually are specified between 20Hz and 20kHz*. For a sound engineer, the problem with very low sounds is the amplitude (loudness) of them - you have to avoid overloading the recording system, and you ought to consider the playback system too.

Yes, you can turn down the wick a bit, but that makes everything quieter. When it's played back on a system that can't create the bass, it will be somewhat odd, and people would complain the CD (or Radio 3 broadcast) was too quiet on their ordinary systems. Sound 'balancing' IMHO is an art as well as a craft skill, but that doesn't stop excessive bass being a problem. So almost all recordings in the real world, will have some sort of filter applied, to 'roll off' or limit the bass end, so that it doesn't become excessive. Exactly how much and where it's applied all depends, but there will be something.

This is a particular problem with vinyl records. Because loudness = width of groove 'wiggle', and in stereo, channel difference = depth of groove, there are practical problems in cutting a disc with a lot of bass on it. Bass on just one channel is worst of all, as it has a lot of 'height'. You can only go so far before the cutter runs out of shellac and hits glass or aluminium underneath (and they do, and it's expensive). At the other extreme it could theoretically jump right off the surface! Similarly side-to-side, grooves can collide with each other. There are strategies to deal with this, nowadays involving computer-controlled cutters and a lot of number crunching, but the bottom line is that the nature of the system severely limits how you can handle bass frequencies. Mastering is the process of converting a recording into something that's actually cuttable and playable too (it affects high frequencies differently, hence my comments about the 1812 overture).

3. neighbours.

So it's tough. In practice, you *might* get a digital system to produce something like what you experience in a cathedral with César Franck at full throttle, but you'd need big (really big) bass speakers and a reasonable space to listen in. It would be a practical impossibility with vinyl or most sorts of analogue tape.

Aside: this is actually my favourite from Hoffnung's "Symphony Orchestra":

hoffnung_organist.gif

Cheers,

E.

*OK there's 24/96 sampling but let's keep it simple!

Hi,

I was at Lincoln at the week end in the cathedral they had a brass band playing in the middle, and it didn't work the reverberation time was to great, but later they had a choir which worked very well in the space. Room size is very important for both recording and reproduction.
As I have improved my system I have found you get a better idea of where it was recorded, you get a real feel for the size.

Pete

Eric The Viking":1eqhsams said:
In practice, you *might* get a digital system to produce something like what you experience in a cathedral with César Franck at full throttle, but you'd need big (really big) bass speakers and a reasonable space to listen in. It would be a practical impossibility with vinyl or most sorts of analogue tape.

Why is that Eric, when tape or vinyl go down further than CD. I know all about warps, feedback and rumble etc but a REALLY good record player will reproduce fantastic base, far better than CD (eg. my Garrard 301). I ask out of interest not in a "what the hell are you talking about" manner.

Very interesting thanks for that Eric.
Yes its the low notes which do it - you can't really hear them you just sense their presence around you. Or underneath you, like swimming in very deep water.
I'm converting a chapel and might think about a good DIY sound system at some point. Luckily the previous owners removed the organ or I would have felt committed to finding out how it worked and restoring it, which would have slowed things down even more.

gus3049":19ngt969 said:
Eric The Viking":19ngt969 said:
In practice, you *might* get a digital system to produce something like what you experience in a cathedral with César Franck at full throttle, but you'd need big (really big) bass speakers and a reasonable space to listen in. It would be a practical impossibility with vinyl or most sorts of analogue tape.

Why is that Eric, when tape or vinyl go down further than CD. I know all about warps, feedback and rumble etc but a REALLY good record player will reproduce fantastic base, far better than CD (eg. my Garrard 301). I ask out of interest not in a "what the hell are you talking about" manner.

The system (vinyl) cannot store/reproduce high-level bass properly, for quite a few mechanical reasons that cannot be overcome easily. Within the design limitations, an uncompressed digital system doesn't have that limitation. It's not problem free, but the problems are several orders of magnitude less evident. Does vinyl actually reproduce sound better than CD (or other digits)? It's not even close, but that's not the whole story.

I read an article on the IET site that compared vinyl to digits, expressed as 'bits'. Generalising, the more bits, the closer the recording maps to the original wave, and each extra bit doubles the volume 'detail' in the recording. CD uses 16 bits, the equivalent of vinyl would at best be eleven (thirty-two times better signal-to-noise). It's not entirely fair (The BBC managed very good quality with 10 bit PCM in the 1970s), but it's a realistic comparison.

I think the answer is that less processing was applied in the old days, and more carefully too. I have Archiv, Philips and DG organ recordings (one is Schweitzer!) on 45 that are wonderful, but they are 'quiet' by modern standards. Broadly, you are swapping sound quality for surface noise.

Does it matter? Most probably not. Our brains are very good at tuning out noise we're not interested in, and, as discussed, for most of us it's the performance that matters.

As an ageist thing, I'd also mutter darkly that most of the 'engineers' of today don't know how to use the equipment they have properly. Many toys don't make excellence, and in times past you literally had to 'engineer' the sound or you had nothing usable at the end of the day. Now you turn the kit on and it pretty much works, but in the same way that automatic cameras rarely take great pictures.

On vinyl you are listening to the careful interpretation of an event by at least two people - the balance engineer and the mastering engineer, both overseen by a producer (usually). If they know their stuff, the outcome may be musically better than just sitting in the audience. With digits there are no guarantees!

Just my twopence.

Eric The Viking":g9ve32wk said:
There are good and great hi-fi designs, and there are some rules of thumb:

Anybody care to add any others?

* No hifi can reproduce the original sound exactly.

BugBear

bugbear":2bj2ktzz said:
Eric The Viking":2bj2ktzz said:

BugBear
No really? So if I listen to the 1812 in my car it won't sound as though I really have the following on the back seat? I'm so disappointed.

* Brass Band1 (finale only)
* Woodwinds: Piccolo, 2 Flutes, 2 Oboes, Cor anglais, 2 Clarinets in B♭, 2 Bassoons
* Brass: 4 Horns in F, 2 Cornets in B♭, 2 Trumpets in E♭, 3 Trombones, Tuba
* Percussion: Timpani, Bass drum, Snare drum, Cymbals, Tambourine, Triangle, Carillon, Cannon
* Strings: (Violins I, II, Violas, Cellos, Double basses)

Eric The Viking":3c0xfdrg said:
Does vinyl actually reproduce sound better than CD (or other digits)? It's not even close, but that's not the whole story.

To MY ears this is nowhere near the truth. I don't care about the fact there has been human involvement in the process or that the measurements say one thing and my ears say the other.

Apart from cheap rubbish, any decent turntable, arm, cartridge combination makes better MUSIC than any CD player I've ever heard. The only one that came close was the original Phillips CD1 but that was built like a tank and presumably someone actually listened to it to compare it to vinyl before they started cost cutting.

I know that the 'engineers' amongst us prefer the measurements but I'm a musician / musical instrument maker and no-one will persuade me that my ears are lying to me. I'm quite sure there are more things in heaven and earth and all that. Our perceptions might play tricks but if they are convincing, who cares.

bugbear":1vocg8vd said:
Eric The Viking":1vocg8vd said:

BugBear

And I have a converse:

* I have never heard a system so bad it can make Fats Waller sound anything but magically joyful.

BugBear

Back