HiFi and Hollow Forms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gus3049":ka5j37se said:
But for some, hi-fi itself is the hobby whereas to me its the music. perhaps this makes a difference.

Heck, me too!

I really enjoy listening to a good hi-fi system as much as anyone, but it's always about what performance I'm listening to rather than what's emitting the noise in the room.

A friend from many years ago was a professional opera singer. At the time (late 1960s), I had a really mediocre audio system (reel to reel tape and home-built speakers). I thought it sounded c**p, but professional singer had no problem with it. My guess is that his understanding of music meant he was hearing something totally different from me, and presumably filling in/blanking out whatever wasn't "musical".
Which is presumably Gus1049's point.
The old Tandberg reel-to-reel that I acquired later still sits in the loft. And when it does come out, it still seems to sound better than later digital stuff! Just a bit "inconvenient".

Hi, Eric

I know the digital stuff is just 1 an 0s but I have had a couple of faults on thin eithernet caused by having 75 ohm cable instead of 50 ohm, one fault was caused by 6" on 75 ohm cable with BNC on each end! tha other was caused by a radio ham thinking that VWSR would be o/k if he put in a couple of 1M lenghts he had kicking around, it wasn't it even caused my tester a problem, I was getting closer and closer to the fault when the distance started to increase!

There is a couple of laser turntables that might track the 1812.

Don't look at this unless your blood pressure is dangerously low http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2011/nov/power-cable.cfm

Pete

Racers":1glqegi0 said:
Don't look at this unless your blood pressure is dangerously low http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2011/nov/power-cable.cfm

It's wonderful - a cable costing more than a car!

You could buy a lot of lead acid batteries and a very good charger for that, and dispense with mains altogether - absolutely no ripple at all!

Slightly depressing that it's on the IET web site though*.

Sorry, that sounded a bit uncharitable. I'm sure it sounds really lovely. :)

Of course you're absolutely right about impedance issues - it does make a difference with Ethernet, just not much difference in the analogue cables of a home hi-fi setup.

E.

PS: for many years I had one high quality co-ax cable with these on the ends:
574350_m.jpg
575650_m.jpg

but that was for 50Hz timing pulses!

*I missed the irony: they have a good article here.

Hi, Eric

I prefered crimp BNCs much quicker to do, I used a battery stripper that even cut the foil on Belden 9907 one wizz and pull, crimp the pin and the sleeve and job done.

I find DIN plugs/sockets work better for audio, don't know if its the impeadance or the single earth path.

I used to run my preamp from batterys but a mains supply sounded better, I had 4 12 7AH sealed lead acid ones suplying 2X 24V.

If you are ever in Nottingham pop round for a listen.

Pete

PS: for many years I had one high quality co-ax cable with these on the ends
Ah the old manual board jack plug, the reliable work horse of the GPO and when the cord got dodgy, the bane of the manual board engineer having to get down in the back of the board and having to put up with looking through at the operatotrs legs. Ahh happy days. One had to wear a tie as an engineer before being allowed into the manual board in those days, although today no more manual boards.([aside] as a result there are many unmarried GPO engineers these days) Sorry I digress from hifi and am talking about 300Hz to 3.4kHz..... hardly hifi.

Alan

Eric The Viking":1x6bzi1u said:
Point taken. People tend to forget Alan Sugar's early days.

Does yours have the 'spatial depth'* switch too? :)

E.

*I think that's what it was called. Time blurs the memory, thankfully.

This is the offending article.

Amstrad_T-80.jpg

It looks much better than it sounds. And it looks pineapple.

My poor old Mum worked many hours O/T to get me a stereo ('music center' back then) for xmas when i was a young teenager. I couldn't tell her how lousy this piece of junk was and had to suffer it for about 5 yrs. Eventually every button had fell off. Bit by bit it fell apart. The cassette deck was first to disintegrate. The tuner was barely useable from the start, and the 'stroboscopip' turntable was NOT stroboscopip!! It was just a piece of cleverly disquised plastic, with more wow and flutter than you could poke a stick at. The speakers had the handling capacity of a banana, and the graphic equaliser was farcical.

How did they get away with selling such utter tosh??

Alan Sugar....... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Roy

Attachments

• Amstrad_T-80.jpg
    Amstrad_T-80.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 572
The best amp in my house is a home built in the early 1970's, based on a design by John Linsley Hood who continued to simplify and tweak the design for some years. (I worked in the TRE/RRE at the time so was influenced somewhat in choice of design) currently fed via a Quad pre-amp from a Goldring-Lenco variable speed deck.
Quite capable of removing the coils from the speakers cones if you disturbed the input connectors before you turned the gain down. (still go the rebuilt warfdales in the loft I think that were in those large base reflex cabinets.)

Afraid day to day listening is now down to a set of listenable denon boxes matched to some coda speakers that take up a fraction of the room and are easy on the ears.

CHJ":rz6bdc4q said:
(still go the rebuilt warfdales in the loft I think that were in those large base reflex cabinets.)

Would they be the original Airdales? Six sided ceiling facing tweeter etc. I joined the acoustics lab at Wharfedale not long after they went out of production, thankfully. If I'm right they have a sand filled baffle. I wouldn't have wanted to mave many of those in and out of the acoustic chamber :(
xy

No didn't have the cash for such luxuries as pre-made units, just managed to buy the best gold badged speaker units I could afford (I started paying a mortgage in 1963), it was a case of getting the books out and building the cabinets myself, first ones were 3/4" veneered blockboard skins with sand filled baffles, base reflex, the most solid pieces of furniture in the house. The cause of much comment when we had our first fitted capet fitted and they had to be moved, likewise when we moved house in the mid 70's, removal men not amused.

I agree and disagree.

I can tell the difference in inter-connectors and cables but to a degree. You do need a "decent" set of separates and speakers and more to the point, a decent well tuned set of ears.

Mains cables is just a hoaxs I say. The only time a mains cable could make a difference is if that mains cable was shielded and your laying the mains cable close and in parallel with interconnects and speaker cables. Ill admit I know little about building amps but what I know about electronics is that once a transformer has stepped down the voltage a voltage regulator is used. So whether the transformer gives 20, 24 or 28v it will always supply the circuit with the voltage the VR is rated for.

Now back to the ears thing. You take your average person and they can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive cables but if knowing what each cable costs they would have you believe the more expensive ones sounded better (I call this the Festool effect). In many cases there brains will tell them the more expensive onces sound better because they expect them to. Now for someone with a tuned set of lugs, they generally can and the proof is when they can say that the more expensive cable isn't matched to the system and gives a poorer sound. One expensive cable can sound brill on one set up but pants on the next, as you say, impedance matching and resistance in the cables.

On my setup I use a mix of cheap, budget and expensive leads. It depends on which speaker and which device.

Like all things having the best is always nice but not needed. Having £1000 leads might make a difference to the sound but does it really add that much to the music from say a correctly set up system would give you. Does not having the best or even a perfect setup detract from the sound?

Me I think not. Its all margins, every little it in. I haven't bothered upgrading to BluRay, DVD looks like real life, its a good clean picture even on my 83" screen. I don't see that I need more resolution for movie watching, I don't see that I need more vibrant colours (but does it? Ill get around to this) and I don't see that a cleaner picture when watching real film (ie not cartoons and animation/cgi) is really that much cleaner.

Ask yourself, why make adverts containing stunning colours and effects that wow you to advertise HD when they are assuming your on a non HD TV? Surely you wouldn't see the stunning colours and effects to HD standard. All but you do, a well toned TV will display colours at the same vibrance (within its range) as an HD TV. Its back to what has already been said, cleaver advertising and the human need for better. HD is really just a better pixel count per inch.

When watching cartoons, films filmed in cgi or animation on Sky HD or playing xBox I can clearly see the difference between HD and non HD, but watching real life films the difference is marginal. My point in the HD is with the average music listener, its them in the know that can tell. To further explain my point, when me and the other half go into the cinema, I will say (if I hear so) that there is something wrong with the sound, she will say it sounds no different to how it normally does, then get annoyed as ill start playing with the settings.

Lengthening thread - very toolyish - all about the tools and no mention of woodwork!
So do you all listen to music with all this kit or just the cannon in the 1812?
Abba? Max Bygraves? Pinky and Perky? Nothing at all?

Hi, Hudson Carpentry

Mains cables do make a difference, the current draw from a power amp is in a series of pluses as the smoothing caps charge up so the peak current is much higher than the rating for the amp, so a thick cable will sound better, doesn't have to be an expensive one.
I have 60.000uF in each of my amps and when I turn them on the lights dim,

Pop round for a listen if you want.

Pete

Jacob, Japanese Death Jazz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaufAE7-imY

Back