HIDE GLUE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, All

I am a novice in woodworking, I love hand tools and old techniques. I have always glued wood with PVA but now I wish to try to glue with hide glue but I have one question:

Can I re-heat the glue after it is cooled, or Do I must throw away it??

I've never used hide glue, but from observation in a few workshops that do use it, I'd guess you can re-heat over and over again.

Most glue pots appear to have never been emptied or cleaned since they were first used. It certainly looks as though they just get topped up every now and again as needed :).

Hello,
I'm a Furniture Restorer and use hide glue on a daily basis.
You can, after making it up, re-heat / re-use the glue over and over (after a while it can smell really bad , especially in summer, it is rendered animal after all!)
This also means that if a glued up joint isn't quite right you can reverse the glue with heat or water. It's great for rub joints and hammer veneering. It last 100 + years in a well made joint.
To make.
Use a bean tin, pour in some of the pearls, pour in cold water to just cover, stir gently occassionally for about 20 minutes, pearls will swell. Then stand bean tin in saucepan in water on heat source (electric best and safest) Warm up (doesn't matter if water boils) and use. May need to add warm water to glue mix occassionaly to ensure consistency. Do not allow water to boil dry. Do NOT allow glue to boil.

Well worth a go.

Hello, Restorer - welcome to the forum. :)

There's a fellow member on here called Norman who has been looking for you! I expect he'll be along soon. (See the earlier thread "Are there any Antique Furniture Restorers.........." on this forum). :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back