'Hidden' door. Hinges weights etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I need to make a door from mdf to create a hidden opener for a storage space in my bathroom. The total height of the door is 2350x 660. Big.
I'm thinking 5 or 6 blum hinges into framework. A castor wheel for support and a magnet push. I'll hide the skirting and the floor is level. Door to be fixed to the left wall but needs to get past the tiling extrusion under the window. Will open towards toilet.

The cupboard will go and all to be shelved out for toilet rolls and rice and baked bean tins and gas mask filters.. Or possibly towels and stuff.
Ps the long skirt is fixed. The short bit on the reveal is just for show.

Any complete no you eejit! Shouting or am I good to go?
What's the best hinge type please to get past the tile sticking out about 10mm.

I know it will never be hidden properly. Tidy would be fine.
Cheers all as always.
Link to pics.
https://imgur.com/a/FLkoKYs

Suggestions and all advice gracefully received as always. This is my doomsday project so I'd like to get the gear ordered. I have the meddite already.
Regards
Chris.

It's just seems neater in the space than any other solution Mike. There no room for architrave or being a proper door. As a cupboard it will have very little traffic and it's also a bit wonky that corner. If my builder (family and generally very happy all round) had not been a roofer by trade :D it might have been spotted. By the time I got back from work and spotted it, was too late to fit a rail for a slider. You get what you pay for and I'm not unhappy overall. More than happy that it's seems to be a slightly bigger extension than planning. But only if you tilt your head. Trick of the light really Mike. On midsummer eve.

Given the chances of getting away with trying to make it invisible are virtually nil, I would n't even try. I would be fitting a door. I would probably fit a fixed panel at the top, and a cupboard door-type arrangement at the bottom. By that I mean a D handle with a magnetic catch, rather than a moving handle and latch.

I'd split it into two doors, if you want it simple two flat slabs of mdf for the doors will be fine, 3 hinges of each will be ample. I'd make the shelving out of 2x1 battens.

MikeG.":2yfd4bu3 said:
Given the chances of getting away with trying to make it invisible are virtually nil, I would n't even try. I would be fitting a door. I would probably fit a fixed panel at the top, and a cupboard door-type arrangement at the bottom. By that I mean a D handle with a magnetic catch, rather than a moving handle and latch.
Cheers Mike.
My main reason for doing it one piece as a big a*se door with no joints was not to have a secret room
(I'm not 7 but I still like the idea! What's the password! :D )
but I couldn't really see a way to hide having visible gaps without it looking a bit cheap. The space is deceptively small despite the height. I was trying to avoid having cut mdf gaps... if you like. I thought about a variety of disguises like fixing a framed mirror just overhanging the gaps and a magnet push.
I think you, Owen and Maxpower are right. Almost like you do it for a living! I was scared of doing the huge door and the mechanics surviving long term.
So far I think I'm going to frame the back of the door, hinge and hang as you suggest. Whether I can disguise it with a framed mirror... hmmm.

Also. Thanks Owen. I see the sense here as well on splitting the weight.

Much appreciated everyone. Thanks for the replies and advice as always.
Priceless.
I stopped on the a10 today at TW parker and got a load of 2x1. Just in time!
:wink:

Just an update as a small thanks to those who helped. Wouldn't post this sort of stuff normally. Got round to finishing this storage space and followed good advice so thanks again guys. Nothing special but it's tidy enough from the outside at least. Happy with the gap spacing considering there's only one right angle on the door. Need to fit a bit of skirt and caulk the top panel.
(Thanks also to Peter Millard for no nonsense video on (re-) fitting euro hinges I've had in a box from my old house. :oops: Free is always good.)

I'm sure Dr Bob is shi*#$@ng himself eh? :D

4H70vIr.jpg

wlh8Ikn.jpg

Next job then... oooh. Might have a cider first. :wink:

That's an impressively consistently narrow gap around that door - it looks very professional!

very good ............ I'm a bit concerned about the reach distance to the bog roll. Is that camera angle?

Cheers guys. Bob, yep it's just bad camera angle. It's actually really close to hand so to speak.

Back