hi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i have a problem i have just made a lovely garden gate with a arch top to it, the problem i have is that in the arch i have a split developing in the the top potion of if it is only on 1 side of it , but i can see it is starting to open out can anyone offer any solution to stop it getting worse before all my hard work goes to waste
cheers
sean

Hello Sean,

If the crack is developing from end grain, make sure there's plenty of paint on it. Also, what timber have you used?

cheers,
jon.

hi j,
the split is running 3/4 of the lenght and it is running through a tenon i think, it was split before i machined it , and not wanting to make a another , i asked my local joinery shop to reproduce it but they wanted 80 quid , 60 if it didn't have the rebate for the t&g in it , so i took the chance that it would not get any worse , it looks like it is , i have not varnished it i am thinking about glueing the seem and trying clamping it back and then maybe varnishing it , but at the end of the day the timber was slightly cupped when it was delivered, i was told it was because it had been tannelised .i am not painting it i have used a tinted wood preserver.
i just dont know what too do
i can send pics to a email address if anyone is willing to help me out that way
cheers
sean

Hi,

If it is a wide split and you can get a sash cramp on to pull it back together, then using some poly- urethane glue to fill the split and cramping back up should fix it. It will depend on how much force is pulling it apart to use a PVA effectively so I would go down the PU option to be sure it holds.

cheers,
jon.

sean, what about glue and screws ,counter sink the screws and plug the holes that might stop it splitting ,

frank

Back