Hi Tech gadgetry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building an entertainment centre for a customer to house the usual but he's asked whether I can put in an IR receiver in the frame so that the volume etc for the stereo can be operated by remote when the doors are closed. I've seen them in the States but I've had no luck here.

Like an silly person I went into PC world and Dixons this morning as I happened to walk past. Once the assistants had finished picking their noses long enough to concentrate on the question - it was clear that these are not suppliers either. Now - what to do with the bodies......... :lol: :twisted:

Any help or advice would be good.

Thanks

T

tim":3cden7w2 said:
I'm building an entertainment centre for a customer to house the usual but he's asked whether I can put in an IR receiver in the frame so that the volume etc for the stereo can be operated by remote when the doors are closed. I've seen them in the States but I've had no luck here. T

I'm pondering exactly the same thing at the moment, as I'm building a cabinet for the DVD etc. Being an electronic engineer, I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to do this quite simply, by embedding a IR diode on the frame (or anywhere really) and then putting a TX diode on the inside. It'd only need a little circuit to make it operate. Unfortunately finding time to build such a thing is proving a little more difficult to find. I did therefore, wonder whether the simple IR extenders you can buy for controlling your set-top box etc, from upstairs could be used, by putting the detector somewhere convenient in the room, and the other end inside the cupboard where the electronic gear is.

I *think* but haven't investigated further, something like this

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/slx_link.htm

Sonds promiing!

http://www.digicams-uk.com/prod252.htm

Its worth noting there seems to be some issues with NTL setttop boxes with these systems.

Adam

Adam,

yes the NTL boxes use IRDA rather than standard RC code sets.
Total pain in the bum

Signal

Back