Hi from the midlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth62

Established Member
Reaction score
Just building and kitting out a new workshop and I stumbled across this site as I was looking for info on redressing a Viceroy Sharpedge 16”.

It looks as if there’s a lot of good info here,

Any how back to the new workshop it’s not just for me it’s for the whole family as a hobby room so will be used for a multitude of things.
So it needs to be multifunctional

Main use my carpentry
Wife wants to do pottery
Son wants a dark room
Car upholstery
Home brewing
Computers and IT (youngest son)

It was going to be my man cave but now the shed build is about finished the whole family has ideas of moving in.

Just don’t know how I’m going to fit it all in but wheels and casters spring to mind and making things very moveable.

I must admit I already have two garages / workshops for my cars and restoration work and this new build started out being for a games room and has now taken on a new identity as we have progressed with it and its now turning in to a clean workshop somewhere we can all work away from the oil and paint.

Build it around your woodwork hobby, then offer a small area in corner for them to all share, for a weekly rental, then see how much they really want some space, 🤣

Hi from West Midlands. Welcome to the forum.

Would the woodworking dust go well with a darkroom? I would think them not an ideal mix

Would the woodworking dust go well with a darkroom? I would think them not an ideal mix
The dark room will be in the area I had set out for a store room will just have to fit some kind of fire excluder strips around door the brush kind maybe. Just see how it goes

Welcome,

with all of those diverse needs, I calculate that you will need a workshop of about 100 square metres, complete with sound proofing, dust proofing, light elimination, power and water :)

We'll all look forward to the results.

Seriously, don't under estimate how much space woodworking needs. Many home hobby woodworkers get by with the area of a single garage but, if you start to work with anything more than hand tools, you start to need quite serious amounts of space. If you are sharing your space with others, bear in mind that woodworking is very dusty, even with decent extraction, and desktop PC's and photographic equipment don't work well with dust. Equally, if the environment gets humid through pottery, it doesn't help woodworking tools.

Primarily it will start as a wood working shop the shop is around the size of two double garages. It will have extraction and that will be one of the first things fitted. Yes I know just how much wood dust can be made as I’m a cabinetmaker by trade and have spent to many years working in conditions that haven’t been ideal.
To many years working with asbestos on sites before the threat was fully know thought I had Asbestosis at one point got fully checked out by hospital but turned out to be clear. So yes now understand extraction and it will be a couple of grand well spent

Dust is indeed the enemy in the darkroom, I used to develop my own films.

Hi from Wales

Well dark room is finished here’s a photo

Attachments

• 308473FD-D0A5-4B90-9B84-B0339B8FB8E8.jpeg
    308473FD-D0A5-4B90-9B84-B0339B8FB8E8.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 8
Half way through your post i was feeling sad that you had to share your space :cry: then ya blew it with not just one but two other play rooms to choose from :sick:.
Welcome:)

Back