Hi, and workshop build advice / opinons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgeJobRob

Reaction score
rsz_shed_2.jpg
Hi,

Newbie to the forum. I'm a D&T teacher by day job, but also a keen DIY'er and getting into wood work. Fairly experienced in terms of DIY having converted my Garage into a family room, and built my own conservatory from the ground up.

Just brought a cheapo table saw after getting the bug for woodwork from my school's awesome D&T technician but have now outgrown my current home workshop (a 12x8 shed).

Right now, I'm just planning ahead for my new 'dream' workshop and wondered if those older and wiser than me could shed some opinions? ideas?

I want to build the new shop over the site of the old one pictured, which is situated right up against the fence that separates the front drive and back garden. We're lucky to have a huge bit of space running down the side of our house, and a pretty nice size driveway (shown in attached pics) - I want to build into the front driveway, and basically rebuild the fence that's already there into a corner as depicted by the bit's of timber on the floor, extending to 300mm short of the neighbors boundary to give maintenance access, This would then give me room to build a 5.5x4m workshop on the footprint.

I know the permitted dev rules require planning for outbuildings forward of the property front elevation, and will obviously seek this, but I don't anticipate it being a battle to get this approved given what my attached neighbor has done on the other side, however, I wanted to do some of the ground work for this during this year's Summer Holidays, while seeking planning (and saving up) with a mind to doing the actual workshop build next year.

I guess my main question is, can I legally extend my current fence, into the shape proposed without planning permission for the time being? (current fence has not got long left anyway). I can't seem to find an obvious answer to this. Forget building the workshop for now, is it ok to move my back garden effectively into my front? To my mind, it should be.

I'd have built the bigger workshop in the back garden except previous owner built a huge 10,000L Koi Pond on the plot, which is now full of fish, and Wife is not happy about losing! (happy wife, happy life etc..) Hence why I want to go forward, into what is essentially an unused part of the driveway. The pictures should make it clearer. Currently the back garden is elevated about 2 ft from the side access, you can just make out the retaining wall. I'd plan to extend the retaining wall, but at a lower height, and effectivley level out the land between the pond and the new wall - i.e, what comes off the top, will help to level the driveway portion (with hardcore/compactor etc etc)

Attachments

• rsz_shed_2.jpg
    rsz_shed_2.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 293
  • rsz_shed_4.jpg
    rsz_shed_4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 274
  • rsz_shed_3.jpg
    rsz_shed_3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 275
Hi Bodge job rob,
Welcome to the forum. I've also caught the woodwork bug recently. What is the height of your fence? I needed planning permission to extend my fence last year because it was taller than 2 meters. Maybe check with your local area planning office to be on the safe side.

Hi. It's already over 3m. But that was put up by previous owner. No idea if he got planing for it. I would hazard not. Though its probably more like 2.2m on top of the garden as the whole side of the garden is higher than the house. (our house is built on the side of a hill.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you had a wander around your area and had a good look to see if anyone else has made set a precedent for this? It does look like you might be in an unusually shaped plot though.

Martin

Just thinking, 232 square feet ... and Youtuber April Wilkerson built herself a 3,000 square foot woodworking and metalworking shop. :D

If you need to extend your current fence into your drive, you would need planning permission if the new part is over 2m high from ground level including the trellis.

You said it's not got long left, so are you planning to replace it all? If so, you would need planning permission if the new fence is going to be 2m high or taller.

I went to Makers Central in Birmingham this weekend. It was full of DIYers and woodworkers like April Wilkerson and someone was talking about building things with future maintenance in mind. For example using stainless steel screws instead of nails so that parts can be replaced easily in the future. Interesting show, worth a visit if you get chance next year. It might give you some ideas for your workshop.

Cheers all, so sounds like I can move it, but keep it 2m max. Which kind of ruins the security of the current one. I guess I can at least do the ground work without worry, then decide if I fix up the current fence (workshop is helping hold it up!) for the the time being then getting plan for new fence line and shed all in one.

If the fence is there is for security - is it doing much when the neighbour's fence is so low? Can they just jump over the side or is there something higher there as well?

Well it's a fair drop as the neighbours property sits higher than ours.. Also, they need to get over his side gate first. That said, ive had to climb me own fence a few times... Workshop roof makes that easier anyhow, so no. Not sure it helps massively!

Back