Hi - An introduction :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peri

Established Member
Reaction score
How my dogs have allowed me to become a wood butcher.

Once, we had one dog (a daft staffy), and the Mrs had a jazzed up Seat Ibizia as her car.

At Christmas we rescued a staffy cross. A staffy crossed with - I am fairly sure - a giraffe......... with maybe some kangaroo or springbok back there in its lineage. The sort of thing that looks like each leg should have 3 knees and can jump 5 vertical feet from a standing start.

Obviously the Ibizia isn't ideal now. We take our hounds every where we go and its a lot of hassle stripping it out and putting blankets down and ground sheets - I forgot to mention the cross is male, 7 months old and tends to leak when he gets excited....or nervous..... or pleased.....or.... well, most of the time really.

So, her Madge decided she wanted a new car, so she bought one. A big Kuga. The dogs love it, she loves it, and even I love it.

I love it because its 10 inches longer than the old car and its too big for the garage !!

I am suddenly the proud proprietor of 'some space'. I've never had 'some space' just for me and my tiny collection of tools and ideas. :)

My dad (r.i.p) was a bit of a magician to me when it came to making things. From house extensions to tiny scale furniture, model galleons made from salvaged timber to furniture restoration. I'm just hoping that a bit of that skill got passed on in the genes :)

I have a feeling I'll be here a lot, and I hope I can give a little back in return.

All the best,
Steve.

Welcome Steve, you should have a great time here. You are going to find a vast pool of knowledge to draw on as well as lively discussion and grand scale fellowship. You will also find unskilled but very keen to learn types to pass your own insights and experience to. And then there is me ... your jovial jester. Take a moment and drop by the hand tools ward . As long as you are careful about slopes you should have loads of fun there.

Hello Steve....

The boss of the workshop...ALFIE says hi to your staff/giraffe cross....

DSC_1334.JPG

I can jump on my Dad's shoulder from a standing start so he must be my BRUDDER!!!

I also make an impression on everyone who comes by my shop...ask Uncle Douglas!

Bye!

Alfie

Welcome Steve!

Think you'll find this a very friendly and helpful forum.

I have a couple of rescue dogs and can completely identify with the car issue :lol:

Cheers

Bob

Welcome Steve - my wife has a Kuga and I enjoy driving it too.
Cars have never entered the garage for many a long year - my shop :)

Rod

Welcome Steve.

Glad you've discovered garages are most definately NOT for cars :lol: That's why modern cars have at least a 6 year corrosion warranty :wink:

I built an extra garage 20 years ago (allegedly) to accommodate my wifes car. It was garaged on 2 occasions :wink:

Bob

What a brilliant welcome - Thank you all :)

I think you're right Jimi - there's definitely a family resemblance ! I cant post pictures yet, but I'll put a snap up of Kaye & Indie (Or 'sprocket 'n' tubbs' as I call them haha) as soon as I can.

As I was drooling over pictures of workbenches and router tables earlier, my wife said to me 'You do realise I'll still want to put stuff in the garage don't you?'. I was actually shocked - nearly speechless in fact. I managed to splutter 'I might be able to spare you a shelf'. I think my first project might be a Helmet/breastplate combo made from Lignum vitae :lol:

Thank you all again for the warm welcome :)

Edit - Must've reached the required post count - here's my 2.

Indie at around 3 months and 6, and Kaye who's 4'ish

dog1fp.jpg
mg0482.jpg

Peri":22wzfvcx said:
As I was drooling over pictures of workbenches and router tables earlier, my wife said to me 'You do realise I'll still want to put stuff in the garage don't you?'. I was actually shocked - nearly speechless in fact. I managed to splutter 'I might be able to spare you a shelf'.

She's definately out of order. Doesn't she know that all guys NEED a workshop / shed / garage. It's like depriving her of her wardrobe or shoe cupboard (hammer)
Tell her it's impossible to make "stuff" :wink: without the FULL use of the garage space. Forget about the shelf, it's the thin end of the wedge :roll: Make her a little shed to use instead.

Bob

I did think at the time that maybe I'd been a touch over generous offering a whole shelf so quickly :lol:

Back