Hi all. I have a problem sourcing Birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I never posted on one of these sites before so Hi.

Two years ago I started a one man carpentry/joinery operation in the village I live in and am kept busy. This was not a new thing for me as the previous two decades I operated the same type of business in New Zealand; where I was born and where I served my time. Every now and then something about UK woodworking shows up that stumps me and I usually figure it out with google.

However, after searching online and then a couple of hours on the phone today I can't solve my problem. So if anyone could offer advice that would be great and sorry if I am being naieve.

A customer who I have already done quite a bit of work for wants a bit of work done to match his existing kitchen. The kitchen is imported and made from Birch (scandinavian Birch I imagine from the style of it). While the panels are Birch faced ply the solid corner members are 55mm square solid birch made up from 3 lots of 55x19 pieces laminated together. He wants me to make up another 4 of these square sections as legs to hold up a long countertop as well as a few other little bits and pieces. However, I can't find solid Birch anywhere. I rang about 20 firms today that I identified from an internet search. They all said no except two; both of these would only sell to me if I ordered a cubic meter minimum and I only need a couple of cubic feet. So what does everyone know that I don't? Why is this timber so hard to get when so many furniture stores are selling Birch furniture and so many guys are using Birch faced ply? Surely other joiners and cabinetmakers who are asked to match all these store-bought products are getting solid Birch from somewhere?

Can anyone help. I only need a few lengths. I would prefer rough sawn an inch thick or greater that is 2 1/2 inches or wider.

Thanks

DBC

If you have no luck sourcing birch, I would say in the sections you mention maple would be all but indistinguishable if carefully selected.
The Scandinavians are big on birch because of its availability, large volume manufacturers like it because it is easy to stain / dye to imitate more expensive timbers, however in its raw state is a very plain wood and not particularly valued in the UK.

This might sound weird but I've found birch used on pallets - it may be that you might find some slats that can also be laminated. Just thought I'd mention it.

I had to make a shelving unit for a client that matched a birch kitchen. Just used maple, it's virtually identical.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Yes I have tried both those suppliers.

I think you're right Marmite about using a similar looking species. There's only a few hundred quids profit in this job so I am not going to do anymore extensive chasing up as with the site visit and the phone calls I'fe lost almost half a day to this project already and I have a lot of other work on. They are just nice people and I wanted to meet the specs they gave me if possible. Funny thing is that you can see at least one Birch tree out of this customer's kitchen window. I was just curious why this species was hard to find. There's plenty of trees in this country and there is hundreds of acres of them in Europe and they grow really fast. I know Richard S pointed out above that Birch is quite featureless but so are several other species that I can buy at my local suppliers that are slower growing and imported from further away.

I am very tired today as I was up til after 3 browsing this site. Wow. There are some great woodworkers on here. I love the way people new to woodworking are encouraged here.

Well better go as I'm driving down to Kent for the Southeast England Woodworkers show.

Thanks

DBC

Birch is a very good furniture material. I find it stange that southerners don't want it.

I could surely supply you with all the birch you need for a very reasonable cost...... if it wasn't for the shipping cost.....

I tried searching for a source of birch in the uk a few years back and discovered the same thing, it is not imported by any of the timber merchants apart from a few shippers who only want to supply a container load. I was interested in using birch instead of tulip for painted furniture. It seems a shame to buy a timber shipped from North America when there might be a better alternative in Europe. Also the interior of cabinets would look nice in birch ply, but there is no option for the solid to go with it.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I decided on lime wood.

If I remember to take some photos I'll post them when the job is done

DBC

Back