Hexagon Wine Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryandotdee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, first time posting a project, any feedback would be welcomed. I just saw a post from PeteG on some hexagon shelves, and as it was similar to what I had made this weekend I thought I would share it as well.

The body is made from Ash, and the interior rack and keys are american walnut. I am very new to working with hardwoods, I have only recently moved up from cobbling things together from wood bought from Homebase. It is really rewarding, but also alot more costly when I make mistakes!

Originally I wanted to make the rack hold 7 bottles, but my measuring was a bit off so I had to suffice with 5.

IMG-20190811-WA0023.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    836.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    774.6 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG-20190811-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20190811-WA0023.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 570
I like that. How did you ensure all the mitres came up tight, they look good and accurate along the whole depth of the unit.

Fitz.

Very nice fella, I love the Butterfly joints, something I've never attempted. Don't worry about the
mistake, it happens, and you'll forget about it soon enough.

Really nice.

A while back I attempted an octagonal tray, with finger joints. I succeeded (sort-of) with a jig for the router table, but it was a huge headache getting it to work properly, and the result was nothing like as nice as I'd hoped. Those butterfly splines ('keys'?) are pretty impressive!

If that's a 'first go' in hardwood, you have a bright future!

E.

Fitzroy":ntej85hn said:
I like that. How did you ensure all the mitres came up tight, they look good and accurate along the whole depth of the unit.

Fitz.

Thanks Fitz, I used a combination of masking tape to initially assemble the joints and pull them together, then I used a band clamp wrapped around some corner braces which I cut with 2 30 degree angles.

One of them did not come out very well and had a 1-2 mm gap along the whole joint, so I ran the joint back through the table saw and after that it came up flush.

PeteG":16x8suyl said:
Very nice fella, I love the Butterfly joints, something I've never attempted. Don't worry about the

Thanks Pete

Full disclosure, I would love to say that I had cut them by hand, I did start cutting them by hand but it took me about an hour to do one, And I was petrified of cocking one up and ruining the whole thing. In the end I used a router to cut them so that I could be sure of a uniform result.

My hand tool skills are better than they were, but I have a way to go before I can rely on them for uniform results!

Eric The Viking":23kuv5t7 said:
Really nice.

A while back I attempted an octagonal tray, with finger joints. I succeeded (sort-of) with a jig for the router table, but it was a huge headache getting it to work properly, and the result was nothing like as nice as I'd hoped. Those butterfly splines ('keys'?) are pretty impressive!

If that's a 'first go' in hardwood, you have a bright future!

E.

Thanks Eric,

It is not my first project in Hardwood, I have been working with hardwoods for about 3 months, but I would say that this is by far the most complicated piece I have done so far.

I am happy with the splines, I was a bit worried about cutting them by hand so I used a router table, I made a 30 degree wedge so that I could run the whole thing through level.

Ryandotdee":2yqt8l85 said:
PeteG":2yqt8l85 said:

Thanks Pete

Full disclosure, I would love to say that I had cut them by hand, I did start cutting them by hand but it took me about an hour to do one, And I was petrified of cocking one up and ruining the whole thing. In the end I used a router to cut them so that I could be sure of a uniform result.

My hand tool skills are better than they were, but I have a way to go before I can rely on them for uniform results!

Nothing wrong with using a router fella ( for me anyway ) still takes skill and accuracy to get it right :D .

Latest posts

Back