Quantcast

Hexagon Wine Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Ryandotdee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, first time posting a project, any feedback would be welcomed. I just saw a post from PeteG on some hexagon shelves, and as it was similar to what I had made this weekend I thought I would share it as well.

The body is made from Ash, and the interior rack and keys are american walnut. I am very new to working with hardwoods, I have only recently moved up from cobbling things together from wood bought from Homebase. It is really rewarding, but also alot more costly when I make mistakes!

Originally I wanted to make the rack hold 7 bottles, but my measuring was a bit off so I had to suffice with 5.

IMG-20190811-WA0023.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Attachments

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
I like that. How did you ensure all the mitres came up tight, they look good and accurate along the whole depth of the unit.

Fitz.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Very nice fella, I love the Butterfly joints, something I've never attempted. Don't worry about the
mistake, it happens, and you'll forget about it soon enough.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Really nice.

A while back I attempted an octagonal tray, with finger joints. I succeeded (sort-of) with a jig for the router table, but it was a huge headache getting it to work properly, and the result was nothing like as nice as I'd hoped. Those butterfly splines ('keys'?) are pretty impressive!

If that's a 'first go' in hardwood, you have a bright future!

E.

Ryandotdee

Established Member
Reaction score
Fitzroy":ntej85hn said:
I like that. How did you ensure all the mitres came up tight, they look good and accurate along the whole depth of the unit.

Fitz.
Thanks Fitz, I used a combination of masking tape to initially assemble the joints and pull them together, then I used a band clamp wrapped around some corner braces which I cut with 2 30 degree angles.

One of them did not come out very well and had a 1-2 mm gap along the whole joint, so I ran the joint back through the table saw and after that it came up flush.

Ryandotdee

Established Member
Reaction score
PeteG":16x8suyl said:
Very nice fella, I love the Butterfly joints, something I've never attempted. Don't worry about the

Thanks Pete

Full disclosure, I would love to say that I had cut them by hand, I did start cutting them by hand but it took me about an hour to do one, And I was petrified of cocking one up and ruining the whole thing. In the end I used a router to cut them so that I could be sure of a uniform result.

My hand tool skills are better than they were, but I have a way to go before I can rely on them for uniform results!

Ryandotdee

Established Member
Reaction score
Eric The Viking":23kuv5t7 said:
Really nice.

A while back I attempted an octagonal tray, with finger joints. I succeeded (sort-of) with a jig for the router table, but it was a huge headache getting it to work properly, and the result was nothing like as nice as I'd hoped. Those butterfly splines ('keys'?) are pretty impressive!

If that's a 'first go' in hardwood, you have a bright future!

E.
Thanks Eric,

It is not my first project in Hardwood, I have been working with hardwoods for about 3 months, but I would say that this is by far the most complicated piece I have done so far.

I am happy with the splines, I was a bit worried about cutting them by hand so I used a router table, I made a 30 degree wedge so that I could run the whole thing through level.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Ryandotdee":2yqt8l85 said:
PeteG":2yqt8l85 said:

Thanks Pete

Full disclosure, I would love to say that I had cut them by hand, I did start cutting them by hand but it took me about an hour to do one, And I was petrified of cocking one up and ruining the whole thing. In the end I used a router to cut them so that I could be sure of a uniform result.

My hand tool skills are better than they were, but I have a way to go before I can rely on them for uniform results!
Nothing wrong with using a router fella ( for me anyway ) still takes skill and accuracy to get it right :D .