Hernia..how do you know??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will be "lump" somewhere, which you can "push" back in. Gently probing with the fingers, you can feel the "tear" in the muscle wall. Will be either around the navel, or near the groin.

This might help - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hernia/Pag ... ction.aspx

I've just noticed an Inguinal Hernia a fortnight ago, on the right hand side. Not looking forward to being "off" for around 1-2 months when it gets repaired. :(

HIH

Dibs

You will have an uncomfortable lump on one side of your old man and slightly above, you will be able to push the lump back in but it will pop out again shortly.
Small operation, you'll go in in the morning and be home the same day, no work or driving for four weeks to let it heal.

Andy

Teckel":1fz0fhku said:
How do you know when you have a hernia??

No mickey taking intended, but usually when a Medical practitioner confirms it.

Seriously Tek, go and see your Doc if you are worried.

Very quick op these days, not painless but bearable, providing you do as the surgeon advises afterwards.

HTH

:)

Benchwayze":3ipg9ba6 said:
Teckel":3ipg9ba6 said:
How do you know when you have a hernia??

No mickey taking intended, but usually when a Medical practitioner confirms it.

Seriously Tek, go and see your Doc if you are worried.

Very quick op these days, not painless but bearable, providing you do as the surgeon advises afterwards.

HTH

:)

None taken benchy.
Not worried bout it. I just get an annoying pain down there from time to time. I must put on the poor mouth to the misses and get a bit of sympathy. :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the replys lads. You will all be kept....

Went in today to have my inguinal hernia repaired today - open instead of keyhole.

They injected tons of local aesthetic - so no pain. Went in theatre at 2.30, in recovery for 4pm and discharged at 8pm. Even went for a walk afterwards, so no issues. Will no doubt be a different story tomorrow! :oops:

Dibs.

p.s. Damn happy that I won;t have to wear a support truss anymore! :D

Teckel? There's stoicism and then there's stupidity. Sorry to be so blunt, but there is a chance if you HAVE a rupture/hernia, it can protrude/prolapse and then go necrotic. THAT is a world of hyperbole past aches and twinges. I had a stubborn relative who wouldn't (get it checked) until it was a blues and twos episode - that's how I know. Go get it checked out.

Sam

SammyQ":hvecy6z6 said:
Teckel? There's stoicism and then there's stupidity. Sorry to be so blunt, but there is a chance if you HAVE a rupture/hernia, it can protrude/prolapse and then go necrotic. THAT is a world of hyperbole past aches and twinges. I had a stubborn relative who wouldn't (get it checked) until it was a blues and twos episode - that's how I know. Go get it checked out.

Sam

+1 Absolutely!

May seem irrelevant, but has the OP had shingles? I had it quite badly last autumn, and the resulting nerve damage now causes a hernia-like pain just above the groin if there is gentle pressure on the vertebrae where those nerves emerge from the spinal chord.
But you should still get it all checked out by your GP.

Can I ask is there any pain when a lump appears? Reason is I have recently noticed a slight lump just to the side of the 'old man' but there is no pain whatsoever, even if I press it?

Alan

I didn't get any pain - but the lump should push back in and no pain even then. With your fingers over the bump, gently holding it in, cough and "see" if it comes back out. When I first spotted it, it went from the size of a grape to a golf ball. In the weeks before surgery - I would just get a dull ache there - no pain.

That's the "better" kind - i.e. a direct inguinal hernia. An indirect one is where the "insides" drop into you scrotum! :oops:

Far less pain today than I thought there would be - taking the stairs normally as opposed to giving the handrails the grip of death! :lol:

HIH

Dibs

had one in my groin area about 15 yrs ago - it didnt hurt much but caused a big lump which I got fixed and have had no probs since with this. Now I have another one around my navel which has been there 5 odd years. usually its ok but if bend over the wrong way or contort etc lifting something, it gets very painful and the pain travels downwards. I am steadfastly refusing to get this one done but I know I should! the quick fix for me is to wear tracksuit bottoms at work instead of jeans and belt :)

Umbilical ones get fixed quickly as the chances of becoming incarcerated - i.e. stuck are higher. Resulting in a trip to A&E and a greater chance of complications. My advice would be to get it fixed.

Day 3 so far and the pain I was expecting hasn't surfaced, just some discomfort. The "old man" certainly didn't go all black and blue as some have experienced. Large patch of purple on the inside of the left arm where the "tap" went in for the drugs. But that should hopefully fade.

Dibs

I go in for my 6 week "sign-off" on Thursday and so far so good. There is a minimal scar - closed up nicely and no pain or real numbness. Certainly not anywhere it counts. :mrgreen:

The recovery has been fantastic on the whole. Can't praise the surgeon (or his work) enough. No numbness or pain. I was even walking (with relative ease) the day after the op and continued the weeks after.

Anyone who suspects or knows they have a hernia - my advice would be to get it checked and fixed.

Just in case folks don't know - you can have such things (and other procedures) done where you like. Worth checking on,

http://www.chooseandbook.nhs.uk/patients/choosing-your

it will tell you the waiting times at all providers local to you and there is no need to "lump" the lengthy waiting times at your local "traditional" Infirmary\Hospital. My "local" had an average waiting list of 18 weeks from 1st consultation to surgery. I chose to go to a local well known private hospital and had the initial consultation 2 weeks after seeing the GP and the surgery 4 weeks after that.

Dibs

Now, why didn't I think of that? ](*,)

Thanks Dibs and good luck with the continued recovery - try not to sneeze too strongly? :-"

Sam

Back