Hermes gone to the dogs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them fairly regularly and they've been fine. I must say that I now use Royal Mail collect and deliver for smaller parcels (our postie collects when delivering our mail) as it is an excellent service and competitive pricing.

I believe they all depend upon the reliability of the local staff. Hermes were excellent here until the chap moved on - a mile up the road was on a different round and they were disastrous. I sat in a bay window one day and watched the postman walk straight up to the door (six feet away) and without knocking or ringing the bell put a pre written "sorry you were out" ticket through the letterbox. He didn't deign to answer when I shouted down the road after him.

Our Hermes deliveries got much more reliable when they found out we've got CCTV. That was after the driver signed for a few parcels as delivered on a day he'd not even driven past the house, and tried to argue about it.

It's the delivery drivers who make or break a low cost parcel service.
Absolutely spot on. I used to dread Hermes but our previous and current drivers have been awesome. It’s been the same with all the others great service turned bad or vice versa when the drivers change. The main thing for me is how they then deal with lost or damaged items. In my experience, Hermes seem to be ok but Parcelforce and DPD have been diabolical.

How strange, only yesterday we were saying that Hermes seemed to have got very slow, our driver is a lovely chap and when he delivered yesterday said they are struggling to get hgv drivers, his main depot is Southampton and he says that they often have to wait for a driver to return to take out another loaded lorry to the local distribution points, and for him it means he can find himself going out in his little Berlingo with half a load, as he says, its just as much fuel to drive around his round but as he gets paid per drop so less profitable. Hes a bloke in his 50s and says they are a great company to work for!
Steve.

I had a 71 router plane chucked over the back garden gate which then broke, it was Hermes's fault and also the seller's fault for using a very thin card box with no padding.

I ordered a replacement glass for my wood burning stove, delivery was quoted as 5 working days. It was picked up by Hermes within 2 days and was held at their distribution centre for the next 2 weeks. It then took a further 3 days to reach me and the packaging was very damaged.

I have yet to open it as I want someone to video the package being opened in case the contents are damaged as well.

Last winter Hermes delivered a package whilst I was out, the card through the door stated that the package was put in our blue recycling bin. When I looked it was not there, I found it two days later in my back garden because the delivery guy had thrown it over the fence. It had been raining cats and dogs all week and the package was just a sodden mess and the contents completely ruined!

Had it been put in the blue bin it would have been dry, the package was on the other side of the fence to the blue bin - go figure......

Our local Hermes delivery guy is excellent and we have never had any issues at all. I think we have only ever had two pick ups of large packages (by the same guy) and no problems either.
Yes, the whole process can be slow, with packages apparently not moving at times, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Back