Hermes deliveries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know a way to complain to ebay? I mean, to an actual person? The 'resolution centre' just takes you round in ever decreasing circles. I don't want to complain about the seller, I don't want to know where my purchase is, I want to complain about the carrier.
Surely the carrier is the responsibility of the seller or the buyer depending on who arranged it
Brian

Surely the carrier is the responsibility of the seller or the buyer depending on who arranged it
Brian
I want to complain to ebay because they have made despatch via Hermes/Packlink almost the default choice for private sellers, with cheap rates and collection from sellers' premises.

I actually bought the item because the listing said the item would be dispatched via Royal Mail. My heart sank when I got the notification that it had actually been consigned to the tender mercies of the Hermes black hole.

I have NEVER has a good Hermes experience. I think I'd rather have Herpes.

The Post Office has just started a collection service. Book online and pay a collection charge of 72p on top of the usual delivery rate. I haven't used it yet, up till now I've used Collect+ which has been reliable but you have to take the parcel to one of their collection points - usually corner shops.
Brian
Talking to our post lady a couple of days ago and she said they weren't informed of the service by the PO and only found out via social media, we've known her for years and trust what she says. Great communication from employers eh? :oops:

I regularly get parcels via Hermes, had 3 this week in fact and never had a problem as our local guy is excellent and as said by Selectortone they work in all hours for next to nothing. I've also sent a few without issues. I do find their tracking service unreliable though and often shows processing when it's actually out for delivery.

Talking to our post lady a couple of days ago and she said they weren't informed of the service by the PO and only found out via social media, we've known her for years and trust what she says. Great communication from employers eh? :oops:
I heard from our local postie when I asked him why he'd been issued with a larger van - to collect all these parcels. That was 3 weeks before the official announcement when we had a mailshot delivered. I used the website last week and found it difficult to get into. However we didn't use the collection service as we were passing a PO that day.
Brian

Does anyone know a way to complain to ebay? I mean, to an actual person? The 'resolution centre' just takes you round in ever decreasing circles. I don't want to complain about the seller, I don't want to know where my purchase is, I want to complain about the carrier.

On eBay, sellers choose which carrier to use, so eBay won't do anything about a complaint about a carrier.

Your most effective complaining method is probably via Twitter, on the carrier's own Twitter feed. That reaches potential customers of the carrier, so they might take some notice.

I've had nothing but good experiences here both sending and receiving with hermes, the worst one here is DPD when you use parcel2go, they've damaged a few things of mine that were very well packed and I won't ever be using them again, I've also had UPS damage stuff on one occasion as well, the only one I currently trust 100% are hermes.

Few days ago my wife supposed to have delivery by them. All 4 of us were siting whole morning 3 metres from the front door watching some rubbish on telly waiting for that parcel. When my wife checked at midday on her emails there was one from them saying that we were not home.
There is no phone number to call and when my wife contacted the retailer as we paid extra to have it delivered their response was that they have also no control over it.

On eBay, sellers choose which carrier to use, so eBay won't do anything about a complaint about a carrier.

Yes, but ebay point sellers in the direction of Packlink/Hermes with easy options to print prepaid labels, collect from home etc. I emailed the seller (a private seller, selling on ebay occasionally) and asked him why he used Hermes instead of Royal Mail as he had stated in his listing and he sad ebay led him down that path.

I had an email from Hermes on Monday saying that my parcel had just been delivered.
Trouble is, they didn't say where they delivered it to as it certainly wasn't to my house as I was in all day and no one called. Now having to go through Ebay resolution centre.

I sat in my front window one morning and watched as the postman walked up the path putting a "Sorry you were out" card through the letterbox quitely and walking off again looking the other way.
Was that the Royal Mail postman?

I think it depends on your local delivery driver. Not only for Hermes but for all of the delivery companies. All our guys are great. Even Yodel ! Pre-Covid we'd always have a bit of banter, share a few jokes. I have their mobile numbers. If I need something next day and opt to pay for the Next Day delivery or pre-noon delivery, I'll text them and tell them not to bust a gut, to sign for it whenever they need to and just deliver it as per normal.

The only downside is their relief drivers who struggle to make their way round the route as it's so rural and house names and numbers often non-existent.

At our last place, Yodel got the prize for worst delivery.

yodel parcel drop.png

@RogerS you've hit the nail on the head.
For the most part the delivery guys are just like you and I and often under pressure, they like to be appreciated even if it's just for doing their job (we do it for the NHS after all).
A bit of friendliness really helps.
When we had a problem a few months ago it didn't help that someone else living at our postcode flew off the handle once with the delivery guy and that was that. We have re-trained said person to be "nice".

We had a spate of deliveries being left on our doorstep by a Hermes driver which should have gone to a similar sounding village/address a few miles away. The first couple of times I dropped them off but after the third time where the recipient didn't bother to say thanks when the next one arrived I tried to contact Hermes to tell them to pick it up and deliver it properly. Unfortunately all their automated contact systems are unable to cater for a collection from an incorrectly used delivery address.

I resorted to e-mailing their CEO. It took two days for an underling to make contact by which time I had opened the parcel and put it back in the post box with the return label on it. The underling basically said they were going to give the driver a black mark which seemed somewhat to miss the point that we all know mistakes will happen but it's the quality of the response from the company when they do that really counts. I don't mind automated systems but they should work.

I wrote again to the CEO to point out that I thought his company had missed a learning opportunity. He didn't reply and I resolved to never use them if I can help it.

I think it depends on your local delivery driver.

My problem isn't with the delivery driver. As per the tracking info I posted earlier, my problem occurred when my parcel went off grid for six days between being collected from the Parcel Shop in Nottingham (21st October) and being logged in at the national sorting hub (27th October). That's the black hole I'm referring to.

I've had near identical issues with the last three deliveries from Hermes. Collected.... vanished for days.... reappeared at the national sorting hub.

When a parcel finally arrives at my local depot it is delivery in a timely fashion. No problem with that.

Couriers HATE E’M. One once drove up to the gate, stopped momentarily and then drove away with my pipe fitting. I was working in the field on the other side of the gate and made eye contact with the courier. I found a number and called the courier company immediately only to be told the driver had attempted the delivery as per his tracker but had run out of hours and could not be turned around.
That cost me a days work and a few mental fuses and my only recourse was to claim against the supplier as there is no contractual relationship between the courier and customer. The courier is the “agent” of the supplier.
in my case the supplier took the rap.
I like the sound of the Royal Mail service.

I like the sound of the Royal Mail service.

I think the new 72p RM parcel collection service is limited to 4 collections per post round per day. Any more gets moved to next day and so on.

Ive used DPD, Parcels2Go, Hermes and Royal Mail selected on the various carriage cost/weight best deal so far no complaints. I have also sent items abroad via eBays system has worked well on each occasion (6 or 7 times)

My wife sends parcels by Hermes to a shop in Leicester and Litchfield. She has had problems with one particular courier in Leicester claiming that they can't get to the shop, despite being in an area with ease of access. Hermes in our area are ok. Royal Mail:rolleyes:. We've had no end of problems in the last four or five years. We get mail for the same house number in two roads locally, one being in a cul-de-sac just to the side of our cul-de-sac.

On Wednesday last week I waited in for my daughters photographic printer to be delivered. It hadn't arrived in the allotted time, but an hour later the door bell rang, it was the lady from one of the houses that gets our mail holding a card stating that delivery had been attempted but no one was in. The time on the card was an hour before the allotted time slot and no one was there. Fortunately, it was not left on the door step. It arrived next day, but before the allotted time slot. Fortunately I was in.

Nigel.

Latest posts

Back