Hermes deliveries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selectortone

Still waking up not dead in the morning
Reaction score
Is anyone having problems with Hermes? Or perhaps I should say more than usual problems?

They have some kind of a deal with ebay where they appear to be almost the default carrier for private sellers. I have won three auctions recently where they have been selected by the seller and each one has taken over a week to arrive.

Amazon often deliver in less than a day, Royal Mail often next day. What the **** is wrong with this bunch of cowboys?

Here's a screenshot of the latest purchase tracking info. The seller is in Nottingham, I'm in Bournemouth. It's a small, light package. The Hermes national sorting hub appears to be a black hole.

hermes.png

Last edited:
We had major problems earlier this year where the local delivery guy refused point blank to deliver to our postcode. I even contacted head office and they sided with their delivery guy. I couldn't stand Hermes.
However, in the last few month the new delivery people are really great. The latest is a chap that lost his job due to C19 and is very friendly and professional. We have nice chats. Now I love Hermes.

If that's the ebay tracking page it'll be 24hrs or more behind. Copy the reference into hermes own website for a better result.
We sent out 4 parcels last week and they didn't show as delivered on ebay until 2 days after the actual delivery.
Biggest gripe with hermes round here is they have closed all the drop off points so you have to wait for collection which adds another day.

We had major problems earlier this year where the local delivery guy refused point blank to deliver to our postcode. I even contacted head office and they sided with their delivery guy. I couldn't stand Hermes.
However, in the last few month the new delivery people are really great. The latest is a chap that lost his job due to C19 and is very friendly and professional. We have nice chats. Now I love Hermes.
I agree. It's easy to blame the Company but most issues I've had have been with individual drivers - different driver another day and no problems. Some drivers here refuse to come into our building and deliver to the actual unit, they just leave parcels inside the door and since covid means they don't need a signature anymore it's getting worse!

I have no problem with the delivery guy. He's always very pleasant and I know it isn't his fault. The fact that he's delivering more than a week later than his company's own esimated delivery date means I'm rather smiling through gritted teeth when the parcel finally arrives though.

Nine days and still waiting.

Screenshot_20201028-121607.png

Last edited:
Used to use them all the time. Then had a couple of problems and now trying DPDlocal who aren't a lot different but the price / weight breakpoints are a little different. Better for big stuff, dearer for small packages.
Hermes delivery guys are effectively self employed with an allocated beat. Some are brilliant - like the guy who deliveres to us - some are bloody awful.
If you have a good guy on your beat, encourage sellers to use them. If you have a bad one, tell your sellers and suggest they use a different service.
Parcelfarce are the ones to avoid at all costs.

Have to say pack link is a nightmare, one seller shipped an item to me and apparently ebay's system had guessed the weight of the item wrongly so it got returned to the sender. This took 5 days!
He then sent it via hermes themselves and it was here in 2 days.
My wife waited 9 days for a lamp posted 45 miles away using pack link.

I no longer buy from sellers using that method for shipping.

Once sent a drill via Hermes - they managed to destroy it, ripping the cable into several pieces in the process. Try getting them to pay up, despite paying for their insurance! Never again will I send via Hermes.

Used to use them all the time. Then had a couple of problems and now trying DPDlocal who aren't a lot different but the price / weight breakpoints are a little different. Better for big stuff, dearer for small packages.
Hermes delivery guys are effectively self employed with an allocated beat. Some are brilliant - like the guy who deliveres to us - some are bloody awful.
If you have a good guy on your beat, encourage sellers to use them. If you have a bad one, tell your sellers and suggest they use a different service.
Parcelfarce are the ones to avoid at all costs.
Hermes are brilliant here, but bad enough a mile up the road to discourage people from buying from firms who use them.

Aviod Dispatch Bay. Too slow to catch cold.

I used to use Hermes a lot but stopped completely after the start of the pandemic due to problems. The biggest issue is that if something goes wrong there is now no way of contacting them. Tried Packlink once - complete fiasco. At the end of the day the only courrier I really trust is Royal Mail - a bit more expensive but always reliable.

Thanks for reminding me I have to chase the useless sods for compensation. A parcel I dropped off a month ago is still showing as "Waiting fo collection", one sent in July was, until a fortnight ago, still showing as "Out for Delivery". I posted out four packages in the space of a week, one was delivered without its conents, one (rescipient claims) was delivered with parts missing and one hasn't been delivered at all. I've stopped listing the package contents as you can guarantee the higher value items will go missing and I think this covid thing and non-contact delivery has been an invaluable asset to the lighter-fingered drivers. I'll not be using them again once my two outstanding claims have been resolved.

Well, the package finally arrived last night. It contained a Raspberry Pi single board computer (it's a little credit-card sized device for those who don't know what they are). The plastic case is smashed. The package has been squashed.

The Pi itself works fine (it takes a lot to kill those little b*ggers). I don't need the case, I have a better one. I think I'd rather be boiled in oil than try to make a damages claim.

Muppets.

Does anyone know a way to complain to ebay? I mean, to an actual person? The 'resolution centre' just takes you round in ever decreasing circles. I don't want to complain about the seller, I don't want to know where my purchase is, I want to complain about the carrier.

The Post Office has just started a collection service. Book online and pay a collection charge of 72p on top of the usual delivery rate. I haven't used it yet, up till now I've used Collect+ which has been reliable but you have to take the parcel to one of their collection points - usually corner shops.
Brian

Back