Hermes adhesive film vs 3M lapping films

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdiamond2

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Hermes self adhesive film (available from woodsmithexperience or Axminster) for scary sharpening, and how it compares to the 3M microfinishing and lapping films. The Hermes film is about half the price per area compared to the 3M from WH, and they seem the same on paper (or should I say on polyester?), with both having a polyester backing and AO abrasive. I was wondering if it could be used as a cheaper alternative to the 3M film.

One post in a thread I managed to dig out said the Hermes was thicker, slightly longer lasting but slower cutting.

Also, tell me you favourite scary sharpening grit progressions while you're at it. I use a honing guide and a 30 deg secondary bevel on 25 deg primary, using 30/15/5/1 micron progression. I'd love to hear your preferred setups.

I use the abrasive films Peter Sefton sells from the Woodworkers Workshop,
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... e2d3&_ss=r

No affiliation just a happy customer as the sheets give an excellent edge & I get 4 strips out of each sheet which I think equals good value.

I use a Veritas Mk2 honing guide which I’ve found the best of all the jigs I’ve used & no need to make other jigs to use it so great for taking on site. I use the two finest grits most for just touching up the edge, if an edge needs more attention I use the courser grits unless the edge is particularly damaged in which case I regrind on the Tormek.
The most important thing is finding a sharpening method & system that works for you, I’ve tried most over the years but find that scary sharp works best for me.

I’ve used the Hermes stuff from Axminster (WoodSmith is also just down the road but I didn’t know they stocked it). My use was primarily for green wood carving tools and axes (I use diamond stones in the workshop).

In my experience they cut just fine, last a long time and are nice and thick so not prone to tearing or damage. I haven’t tried the 3M before which I believe is available in finer grits however I have used the 1200 then 2500 Hermes and a strop to get hair popping edges so don’t feel the need for any finer.

+1 for 3M lapping film.

I'm currently using 40, 30, 9, 3 and 1 micron all on a single piece of glass from workshop heaven.

Each sheet does 4 strips of 70mm wide so a sheet lasts me a while. I'm also using the veritas guide.

I've tried the micro finishing version and although it's obviously more durable, I've struggled to get the 100 micron to stay stuck to the glass.

barnettjacob":3874obrx said:
+1 for 3M lapping film.

I'm currently using 40, 30, 9, 3 and 1 micron all on a single piece of glass from workshop heaven.

Each sheet does 4 strips of 70mm wide so a sheet lasts me a while. I'm also using the veritas guide.

I've tried the micro finishing version and although it's obviously more durable, I've struggled to get the 100 micron to stay stuck to the glass.
Exactly the same here; I've used loads of different sharpening systems and the one you and I use is IMHO the best by a couple of light years - Rob

barnettjacob":34yc3h6d said:
+1 for 3M lapping film.

I've had the same experience with the 100 micron, although only when using it as thin 1-inch wide strips - I find it sticks fine as a full 70mm sheet. 100 is too coarse for normal sharpening anyway.

The main reason I ask about the Hermes is that I end up using a lot of 3M film when lapping the backs of new chisels, which can get a bit pricey on the paper if you have maybe 10 chisels to do like I have. Since the Hermes is cheaper, this wouldn't be so much of an issue. It also comes in a few grits that the 3M sheets don't, such as the P600 and P800 (25 and 20 micron respectively).

I also tried using wet/dry sandpaper stuck down with spay adhesive (super 77) to lap my chisel backs, but I ended up with some dubbing over of the edge. This might have been me using way too much pressure though, and being impatient.

Latest posts

Back