Here's an interesting philosophical question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,
I have been reading with interest the thread that you have started and I can't answer it no more than anyone else can, its like saying how longs a bit of string!.

When a cutter whether its a saw blade or router or what ever, needs sharpening or replacing, will depend on what its being used for, what the results the user expects from the cutter being used and the users experiance and knowing when a blade needs changing or sharpening.

Will, I don't expect that has answered your question , but its the best I can come up with.

John

A lot of people hone a second angle onto their blades, some say this improves the edge?

Unfortunately when you start thread, it's not your baby any more, once others chip in it can run and run, just ignore it if you have all you answers. Bet you can't though :? :lol:

Steve

I'm probably as guilty as anyone of running tool edges past their optimum. I reckon it's a balance between how hard it gets to use the thicknesser and the quality of the resulting planed timber - the duller the cutter the harder work my P/T finds it to power feed. With the P/T I find that the cutters get nicked long before they become terminally dull :oops: and that's when I change blades. This is why I now run four sets of cutters for the P/T which gives one set on the machine, one in reserve and two in the sharpening cycle somewhere. I can also change a set of cutters (four in my case) in between 8 and 15 minutes thanks to a magnetic Panhans cutter setting jig, so I see no advantage in going to disposable cutters - I tried them and went back to conventional cutters.

Back