Here you go, all you budding woodturners - Over Christmas Task

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see where Ive been going wrong, must chop the legs off my lathe to bring it closer to the ground and then I can sit comfortably on a stool wearing my slippers. Perhaps a task for another day

Looking at the masks I was thinking....so that's what terrorists do on their days off!!

As for health and safety. China has the last laugh. Because of the burden health and safety has on UK manufacturing, it adds to manufacturing costs. I worked at IBM and had a company making some cables for me. They were hacked off because they had lost a contract for monitor cables. With IBM, you were talking millions of cables a year. The Chinese competitor didn't have all the finger guards which were mandatory in the UK. As a result, the operators could crimp contacts closer, hence there was a cost saving in cable, undercutting the local supplier. I'm sure a few Chinese operators lost fingers, but others would be queuing at the door to get a job. There is a hidden cost to health and safety. I'm not saying it's unnecessary, but it's an area where far east manufacturers can and do take advantage.

Equal mixture of wonder and horror. Thought he was making giant salt and pepper mills...

My admiration for their craftsmanship far outweighs concern for their health and safety - not in a dismissive way.

In the developed west we have lots of sophisticated kit - lathes, saws, sharpening, steel toe caps, extraction systems, power forklifts etc etc.

For all we are endowed with, we have few who could aspire to what they produced, and many for whom all the safety kit in the would be incapable of preventing self administered stupidity.

Once you get past how terrifying truing up that log was, you do have to give pause and think its a lot of trouble to goto for a candlestick...now where did I leave the candles? :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back