Here we go again - I'm getting a bit fed up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":3mfjno6k said:
There are (at least) two types, it would appear. Back to original invoice price and replacement cost of a like-for-like vehicle.
At least 4 types according to the company I used:

Return To Invoice Gap Insurance – explained.
“This option pays the difference between your motor insurer’s write off settlement and your motor dealer’s original invoice price. This insurance assists with settlement of finance agreements too.”
Suitable for finance and cash customers with new or used vehicles.

Vehicle Replacement Insurance – explained.
“This option pays the difference between your motor insurer’s write off settlement and the cost of an equivalent replacement – even if the cost is more than you originally paid. This option assists with settlement of finance agreements too.”
Suitable for finance and cash customers with new or used vehicles.

Finance & Contract Hire Gap Insurance – explained.
“This option pays the difference between your motor insurers write off settlement and what your dealer arranged finance or leasing company require to end your agreement.”
Suitable for finance, leasing and contract hire customers with new or used vehicles.

Agreed Value Gap Insurance – explained.
“Will pay the difference between your motor insurer’s write off settlement and the Agreed Value which is 105% of Glasses Guide Retail value at time of purchasing this cover”.
Suitable for finance and cash customers.

Only reason for asking is that when our new 200SX was written-off, our policy provided for a replacement new car of the same type. But Nissan had stopped making them and there was no clause in the policy to cover this eventuality. I had it on good authority that that rendered the contract effectively nugatory and the insurance company could simply refund me my premium and walk away. Fortunately they didn't think about that.

I took one out but deferred it for a year as my main insurance company covered new for old during the first year.
The main dealer wanted £799 - I got it for £239.

Rod

I've been to see my poorly car today, the Police have released it. God it's a mess. Wing mirror smashed off, bodywork damage. The front wheel has been replaced by the spare and that is destroyed too. One roof bar missing. One. Why one? Electric tyre inflator and my WW2 Air Force woollen blanket that was my dad's. Pineapples.

It didn't help its appearance that it was covered in fingerprint powder.

But every cloud and all that. I picked this up yesterday:

Kia1.jpg

Kia2.jpg

It's just over 3 years old but hasn't done 10K miles yet. As you can see I did get it onto the patio at the back and turn it round, but it was a 7 point turn. And getting out this morning was a nightmare, I had to keep moving it an inch at a time, get out, and see where I was. Far too close for comfort. I shall try driving in and reversing out. I could do that with my Laguna, just, and this car is a tad smaller.

I did buy GAP, but online. Dealer wanted 299 for 3 years, I bought 5 years for 201. So thank you very much pcb.

Attachments

• Kia1.jpg
    Kia1.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 442
  • Kia2.jpg
    Kia2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 442
Sorry to hear your loss Steve
stick some bamboo plant poles into some wooden blocks and put them in your turning path
if you see it move your too close
you will soon judge the distance

Steve

Steve,

I'm so sorry to hear about the damage and loss that you suffered.

All the best,

Neil

PS I'll be in touch about the Sunday lunch soon.

Looks very respectable Steve. Let's hope that this is the end of all your troubles - I notice it's an Estate, so enough room to get respectable sized wood in the back - unless you're going to be converting "Maskery's Meistershop & Jigs Emporium" into a 2 story enterprise that is! :D

AES

It's dead posh, I love it. Satnav, proximity sensors, automatic lights, cruise control, reversing camera, climate control. Never had any of that. It doesn't park itself though, newer ones do.
The only downgrade is that the back window does not open independently of the tailgate. My Renault did that and whilst I did not often use it, it was jolly useful when I did, for long stuff.
I've spoken to the salesman and he is going to send me a tonneau cover.

Steve Maskery":xspqhofb said:
It's dead posh, I love it. Satnav, proximity sensors, automatic lights, cruise control, reversing camera, climate control. Never had any of that. It doesn't park itself though, newer ones do.
The only downgrade is that the back window does not open independently of the tailgate. My Renault did that and whilst I did not often use it, it was jolly useful when I did, for long stuff.
I've spoken to the salesman and he is going to send me a tonneau cover.

I also like the "posh" bits. I have a two month old Sportage and can now park in spaces I previously avoided. :)

I dunno about "posh", but my little Pug is 3 years old and has parking sensors (rear only) as standard. Just as well really because like many other modern cars I think, however you sit in the driving seat, and wriggle around as much as you like, you cannot see ANY corner of the car at all , front or rear!

Also like many other cars I think, the windscreen has such a "sexy" slant/slope to it that under some sunlight conditions, AND under some night lighting conditions too, you CAN hardly see out of the screen at all - just reflections from inside the (predominantly) black interior!

I hope your Kia is better in both respects Steve.

AES

My friends told me I must never leave it out on the street as it is a twit-magnet (or something akin). I said it will be a babe-magnet, to which they replied that the best I could possibly hope for is a granny-magnet.
Heigh ho.

I have always thought gap insurance yet another way garages exploit punters when buying a new car- along with floor mats, paint protection, extended warranties, service plans etc etc. They make back any discount they have to give on the head line price on overpriced extras for which sales staff earn significant bonuses.

Most new cars are repairable in event of any other than major damage simply because even on a fairly basic car repairs would need to exceed £7-10k . I am happy (or perhaps fortunate) never to have had a major write off claim in 40 years. So my strong opinion is not to buy gap insurance in the first place to cover an improbable risk for most. If you do feel nervous about not being covered find an independent policy as the one sold to you by the dealer will almost certainly be overpriced by a factor of 2 or 3.

Back