Here we go again - I'm getting a bit fed up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
At about 2pm today, I thought I'd better go out and vote. So I went downstairs from my office, sat down to put my shoes on and looked out of the window.

Where's my car?

Had a look round. My key cupboard was open, my handbag was on the floor, open. All the keys were gone, by bag was empty of all things useful.

I had heard a noise at the front door, but I thought it was the postman. I looked out of the window and saw someone come out of my gate, but it wasn't postie, so I assumed it was the daily barrage of junk mail. That was at about 12; at least, lunchtime. I would say that I ALWAYS lock my front door. I'm certainly not in the habit of leaving it unlocked. Perhaps this was just one lapse. There is no sign of a forced entry. But I always lock up. If it was unlocked, it's been unlocked since yesterday afternoon.

So I've had to cancel my bank cards, I'm going to have to change all my locks, including my workshop locks.

The police have recovered my car, but it has been involved in an "incident", just a few streets away, so, as a 14-year-old vehicle, it will be written off, it has zero value to start with. And my excess means that I shall quite possibly receive nothing at all.

The only glimmer of hope is that when it was crashed, two people were seen running away. It was witnessed and the police have two names, at least one of which they recognise.

So I have no wheels, an insecure house and I can't go out to vote until I can get the house secure.

I'm getting really %^&*(*&^% off at people thinking they can just take my stuff.

I'm not a happy bunny.

Hanging is to good for them Steve.

They won't be bothered about the amount of hassle and heartache they have caused you, scum, that's the only word for them.

Pete

Bloody hell - that's awful.

If you were a bit closer - I'd give you a lift to the polling station. Can you cab it and ask a neighbour to house sit for twenty minutes.

Steve Maskery":1xwggc77 said:
At about 2pm today, I thought I'd better go out and vote. So I went downstairs from my office, sat down to put my shoes on and looked out of the window.

Where's my car?

Had a look round. My key cupboard was open, my handbag was on the floor, open. All the keys were gone, by bag was empty of all things useful.

I had heard a noise at the front door, but I thought it was the postman. I looked out of the window and saw someone come out of my gate, but it wasn't postie, so I assumed it was the daily barrage of junk mail. That was at about 12; at least, lunchtime. I would say that I ALWAYS lock my front door. I'm certainly not in the habit of leaving it unlocked. Perhaps this was just one lapse. There is no sign of a forced entry. But I always lock up. If it was unlocked, it's been unlocked since yesterday afternoon.

So I've had to cancel my bank cards, I'm going to have to change all my locks, including my workshop locks.

The police have recovered my car, but it has been involved in an "incident", just a few streets away, so, as a 14-year-old vehicle, it will be written off, it has zero value to start with. And my excess means that I shall quite possibly receive nothing at all.

The only glimmer of hope is that when it was crashed, two people were seen running away. It was witnessed and the police have two names, at least one of which they recognise.

So I have no wheels, an insecure house and I can't go out to vote until I can get the house secure.

I'm getting really %^&*(*&^% off at people thinking they can just take my stuff.

I'm not a happy bunny.

Hope you get your wallet and keys back, fingers crossed they are left in the car?

Sorry to hear that Steve it's bloody awful but all too common, the b*stards!

I came home yesterday to a note saying my missus had taken the dog out for a walk, went out the back door and locked it but left the front door unlocked, she'd been out half an hour. She wonders why I was so annoyed. :roll: #-o (hammer)

Oh crikey, really VERY sorry to hear that Steve. Just what you did NOT need with your previous history of workshop equipment theft.

Hope the little barstewards get caught, AND that you get at least something back for the car.

Chin up mate

AES

Sorry to hear this.

Whilst on the subject, it may be obvious to everyone here, but it's worth making sure you don't keep keys etc where they are accessible by "letterbox fishing". I moved our key hooks after seeing it done on a TV show.

Sorry to read this, Steve.
We left the door open (it still goes against the grain to lock doors, having grown up in houses that had doors we didn't even have the keys to) and at about 4am my wife heard something downstairs. She went downstairs and found her rifled handbag ... on the settee next to the sleeping dog. Steering lock required for car, change of house locks - the one large bunch of keys they left behind were the keys of large bank she worked in. Thankful for small mercies. :D

Good advice, Tony. My keys are in a cupboard, not far from the front door (well you don't keep them in the attic, do you?) but not accessible from the letterbox.

Thank you all for your commiserations.

Noggsy doesn't post these days, but if he does read this, I'd like him to know that I was very impressed with the police response. I've not had that many interactions with the police in my lifetime, but those which I have had have been very mixed, from "I can't be pineappled to with this" (I have no doubt that that will come out as "pineappled") to very good indeed. Today's was exemplary. Really good.

The officer who came to interview me was a Sikh. So after we had done the necessary, which took AGES, we talked about religion (I have a history but I'm very ex), and my (very limited) experience of India and Pakistan. I learned things I didn't know. It was all very positive.

I'm just encouraged that they know who has done it; proving it and getting justice may be more problematic.

Woodmonkey":1m8z9gcy said:
That's terrible Steve. I can't believe you've got a handbag.

Hah, bleeping hah. :)
You'll have to do better than that, I've heard all the jokes before. Is that really the best you can come up with?

But thank you for the (bigger) sentiment.

What a bar steward of a thing to happen.

How the heck do they know when to strike. Do they go round trying every door? Surely someone would report that as suspicious.

We had an elderly neighbour burgled whilst she was in the house. I asked the police who attended how they knew which house to pick on, but they wouldn't tell me so I presume the burglar had prior information that it was an easy target.

That's bloody annoying, Steve. I hope that you get at least some recompense and the scrotes get their due deserts (although I very much doubt it). Funnily enough, I'm in the process of getting a security camera ...at least if I'm out and I get an alert, then I know that when I dial 999 and utter the magic words "Registered Firearm on site" then the response should be swift.

RogerS":tmgszhur said:
That's bloody annoying, Steve. I hope that you get at least some recompense and the scrotes get their due deserts (although I very much doubt it). Funnily enough, I'm in the process of getting a security camera ...at least if I'm out and I get an alert, then I know that when I dial 999 and utter the magic words "Registered Firearm on site" then the response should be swift.

Many years ago we had a puppy and six month old puppy put down because they were implicated in sheep worrying -they were led off our smallholding by a neighbour's dog that was actually doing the damage, but its owner denied it ever came onto our property (despite his being our gardener, and his dog coming to visit him on its own) and refused to have it put down.
One Saturday afternoon shortly afterwards I saw the dog outside our front door. I phoned the police and asked them if they were prepared to do anything, as the animal had cost us several hundred pounds. They said no. I said fine I'll shoot it. Two police cars were there within five minutes. :D
I did shoot it in the end - two BBs refilled with rock salt up the behind from 20 yards. Didn't see the dog again for about three years.

Very sorry to hear your news Steve - there's some very horrible people out there!
Hope you get matters resolved quickly.

Rod

Back