Here’s to turning in 2020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
As is the norm this time of year, several projects in the system awaiting the joys of spring; however given the reasonable shed temps over the last couple of days, it seemed it's time to stop prevaricating and start the tools turning.
DSCN6685.JPG
DSCN6686.JPG
DSCN6687.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6685.JPG
    DSCN6685.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • DSCN6686.JPG
    DSCN6686.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,301
  • DSCN6687.JPG
    DSCN6687.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,325
Another little pot finally got the finishing touches today.
DSCN6777.JPG
DSCN6779.JPG
DSCN6780.JPG

The wood has been going through various stages of relocation and drying since it arrived in Oct 2006.

Attachments

• DSCN6777.JPG
    DSCN6777.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,138
  • DSCN6779.JPG
    DSCN6779.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSCN6780.JPG
    DSCN6780.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,122
I'm going to have to do some turning this year. Yep, this non-spinney woody is going to have to grit his teeth and fix a lump of wood into a lathe. Acorn newel caps in oak are in my near future*. So, indeed, here's to turning in 2020.

*I even contemplated carving 3 "green man" 4-faced newel caps to avoid doing any turning, but realised they would probably take longer than the entire staircase build.

Dalboy":27gcwu52 said:
Very nice Chas I like the tapered look. Busy doing odd jobs at the moment

Thanks Derek, I've had a couple of weeks of "behind the scenes" so to speak odd jobs and turning going on, feels like I've not achieved much when there's nothing to post.

MikeG.":27gcwu52 said:
I'm going to have to do some turning this year. .Acorn newel caps in oak are in my near future*. .
Glad you picked something simple like a great lump of Oak to start your turning experience. :!: :!: (hammer)

CHJ":2wm9vdxg said:
..........Glad you picked something simple like a great lump of Oak to start your turning experience. :!: :!: (hammer)

It's not the start, Chaz. I've turned various bits and pieces over the years when it's been absolutely unavoidable. I even made myself a pole lathe once, for a giggle (I geared it up, too, which was an interesting but short-lived experiment).

Real mixed bag of bits this one, just picked up oddments of similar/complimentary colouring from the 'I'll find a use for them sometime box' , some partially assembled.
DSCN6781.JPG
DSCN6782.JPG
DSCN6783.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6781.JPG
    DSCN6781.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 988
  • DSCN6782.JPG
    DSCN6782.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 968
  • DSCN6783.JPG
    DSCN6783.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 966
Funnily enough, that looks more natural than those with selected woods. I like it anyway.

Very nice.

It is surprising what woods we have stashed away for those just in case moments and most times I still can't find the right type/colour of wood for that little project.

It's a major problem, and continuously increasing, unfortunately there aren't any young or new to turning folks locally that could come and pick them over.

I'm going to spread the message amongst the local craft groups to see if any of them can make use of little bits of 'pretty' wood.

More and more are going into my neighbours firewood stocks for use as kindling, there's a limit to how many knobs, feet, earrings, necklaces etc. I can see me producing.

Unsurprisingly, you're doing some really impressive work this year, Chas.

As a newbie to this, it would be really good to see how you make these and what processes you go through. Just the cutting, smoothing and preparing of the segments, ready to take the veneers must take quite some time.

Thank you for sharing.

RickG":4vm28bam said:
...As a newbie to this, it would be really good to see how you make these and what processes you go through. Just the cutting, smoothing and preparing of the segments, ready to take the veneers must take quite some time.
Thank you Rick for the comment, these pieces are really very simple in construction, the vital requirement is care in turning the joint mating tenon surfaces a true 90 deg. to the axis of the turnings, if you don't the joint glue lines can enlarge as you clean up the final assembly.

The Segments do not get any work regarding angles or mating surfaces after they leave the saw; in my case a chop saw, once again it is a case of being pedantic with the setting up of blade travel and angles. If the angles are inaccurate trying to adjust them post cutting has a 50-50 chance at best of ending in tears.

There is a reasonably detailed WIP of the last Cherry Pot ready for public posting in the near future.

There are some basic WIP on my web site of how I do them, rather dated now as I've gained experience and refined my methods a little.

Last of this batch of oddments, hopefully I can start on something that does not generate even more small bits too good to throw away like the last few projects have.

DSCN6784.JPG
DSCN6785.JPG

DSCN6786.JPG
DSCN6787.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6784.JPG
    DSCN6784.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 817
  • DSCN6785.JPG
    DSCN6785.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 819
  • DSCN6786.JPG
    DSCN6786.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 838
  • DSCN6787.JPG
    DSCN6787.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 842
On the basis that we might get some warm weather at some time and there could be an outlet for some more door wedges for those hot windy days when slamming doors are a niggle.
DSCN6788.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6788.JPG
    DSCN6788.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 788
CHJ":14izf6cv said:
On the basis that we might get some warm weather at some time and there could be an outlet for some more door wedges for those hot windy days when slamming doors are a niggle.

Nice addition to the stock Chas and some great mix of woods.

I am moving a lot of my wood stock as the wind has taken the roof off of one store now need to rebuild as once the roof went it effected other parts of the store easier to rebuild the whole shed, luckily not the workshop or the second store.

This comment is not a serious one and I feel for anyone who has been affected by the weather.
You could sell them to hold doors open to allow the water to pass straight through or to hold the doors closed against the pressure of water.

Not the most elegant versions, mainly down to the use of Oak which does not have exactly fine grain detail.
DSCN6789.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6789.JPG
    DSCN6789.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 434
Such smart items, a real credit to your skill Chas, they look very nice.

KimG":3o3uxw9e said:
Such smart items, a real credit to your skill Chas, they look very nice.
Thanks Kim, they are passable in presentation as far as the local QC is concerned, the design of the lids on these letting them down somewhat.
Been trying to speed up production whilst achieving better control of the internal dimensions; have managed the latter in particular, trying to modify the lids to avoid having to be critical on the individual fitting has not been so successful. Will have to go back to the original inset lids which look smarter or change the top design completely.

Back to the Simples.
DSCN6790.JPG
DSCN6791.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6790.JPG
    DSCN6790.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCN6791.JPG
    DSCN6791.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 418

Latest posts

Back