Hemlock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a job lot of timber which is almost entirely Ash, but as i was unloading it there was a single board which is marked Hemlock. Its about 1inch/ to 1 1/4inch thick and maybe 8 or 9 ft, rough sawn and i've not done anything with it other than sling it in the timber store.

I've not ever come across the timber before so dont really know what it is used for - i think i've heard its used in stair parts?

I have no real project in mind, and im not likely to go buy more so anything i do with it is likely to remain on the small side, so i was just interested in whether anyone had any experience with it - how does it finish, easy to work, any recommended tips for getting the best out of it?

Maybe that will inspire me!

Also used by door manufacturers, I did a warehouse clearance a few months ago and got 30-40 bare hemlock doors amongst others.

Looks nice when stained

Andy

I bought a job lot of Hemlock from a door manufaturers that went bust 3/4 years ago. It came from Canada where it's used not only for doors but suprisingly for floors as an alternative to oak. I say suprisingly because it is not very dense and hates water!

Used it on stairs and door standards. Have seen it used in doors but never did it myself. The standards I made were for a Diageo Laboratory who were then called DCL and the finishes were in Afromosia. I remember it being damned heavy compared to usual materials and hard on my edges, very straight grained the bits I used, on the stair it looked better than Paranha Pine though some reddish toned variants were attractive to my eye in the Paranha. Sorry to say not been in much demand lately or requested by customers the Hemlock, funnly enough was speaking to one of my journeyman about this timber recently and where I used it.

Ho hum... i dont have enough for a door and live on a boat so no need for stairs!! :lol: But actually - on that note, i do need a new set of back steps down into the boat off the back deck - inspiration strikes at last =D> Could be a simple little project to use it, have a go at staining which is new to me too.

Thanks for the feedback - any tips on an attractive stain technique/product..?

Wouldchuk":234pqvlm said:
Ho hum... i dont have enough for a door and live on a boat so no need for stairs!! :lol: But actually - on that note, i do need a new set of back steps down into the boat off the back deck - inspiration strikes at last =D>

Froggy":234pqvlm said:
I say suprisingly because it is not very dense and hates water!

Need some waterproof varnish too :D

Latest posts

Back