Helpful BT - Not!....but then again...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm moving house again. Only the fourth address in 12 months...

The new place needs an engineer to connect the phone line. I'm moving on August 28th and the earliest they can send out an engineer is...October 4th!
How on earth can I manage without BB for more than 5 weeks? I can see me lurking in my car with a laptop :(
S

I have just changed from BT for broadband and Talk Talk for phone as both companies service is rubbish! Now with Plusnet and so far so good.

It might be worth asking other providers if they can do you a better deal and withing the time frame that you need.

Yes, but they all rely on the BT infrastructure, don't they? My only other option is to see if Virgin is available. It's not where I'm living at the moment.
It's either that or get a Smartphone and yet another monthly bill :(

My understanding is that other suppliers use BT's line, which BT are responsible for, so they would still be dependant upon BT connecting the line.

Beat me to it Steve. Smart phones are great - allows me to surf while our other 2 computers are being used by the wife and kids. You could also consider a PAYG "dongle" for the computer, which you can top-up on a monthly basis with credit.

DeanN":3ebiwir0 said:
My understanding is that other suppliers use BT's line, which BT are responsible for, so they would still be dependant upon BT connecting the line.

Basically, as I understand it, BT is split into two companies. Openreach which handles the infrastructure and BT which handles the end users phone / broadband service. However, having said that, another supplier may be able to get Openreach to provide the line more quickly to meet Openreach's service agreement with that supplier.

It may not help but given the long delay surely its worth following up all possibilities.

Harbo":1t32v73r said:
Plusnet are are part of BT!

Rod

Correct, but, there call centres are UK based and so far I have found that they are friendly & helpful and they do what they say they will do. I had never experienced that with BT & Talk Talk.

Ah! A result, I think.

Me: I want to leave BT as you can't provide me with a service
Mr Patel: I'm sorry to hear that. What if we give you free OpenZone access and I'll try to expedite your installation date?
Me: OK.

So now I find I can browse the internet from my Mac (my PC isn't wireless, but I rarely surf from that) using OpenZone. So provided there is a decent mobile signal at the new address, I should be OK. Phew!
S

Steve Maskery":36oapr5e said:
Ah! A result, I think.

Me: I want to leave BT as you can't provide me with a service
Mr Patel: I'm sorry to hear that. What if we give you free OpenZone access and I'll try to expedite your installation date?
Me: OK.

So now I find I can browse the internet from my Mac (my PC isn't wireless, but I rarely surf from that) using OpenZone. So provided there is a decent mobile signal at the new address, I should be OK. Phew!
S

Hope it works out for you. However a word of caution BT promised me lots of things but failed to deliver on their promises. I do hope you have better luck, as being without broadband is difficult now we have all got used to it.

Steve Maskery":2i5m0slu said:
So now I find I can browse the internet from my Mac... using OpenZone. So provided there is a decent mobile signal at the new address, I should be OK.

Hope it's my misunderstanding of either OpenZone or 'decent mobile signal', but isn't OpenZone BT's network of Wi-Fi hotspots, not based on the mobile network ?

Just spoken to Mr Patel again, or his cousin, anyway.

I discovered that if I unplugged my router, I didn't get the mobile signal... Rather defeats the object!
But I was connecting through BT WiFi-with-FON, whatever that is. Openzone is different but did not show up in my list of networks. I appears not to be available here where I live at the moment. But he assures me that it is available "though one of our Partners" at the postcode where I will be living.
I sure hope he is right.
S

October 4th... :!:

You'll probably be ready to move again by that time :D

On a more practical note, could you not take your laptop and sit outside the new address to check the signal?

Whatever happens best of luck with it.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2sc1duzi said:
October 4th... :!:

You'll probably be ready to move again by that time :D
You are closer than you think. I'm planning to look for somewhere to live in the new year.

brianhabby":2sc1duzi said:
On a more practical note, could you not take your laptop and sit outside the new address to check the signal?
That is a very good idea. Thank you!

The BT Openzone and Fon relies on a BTHub being available near where you are based.
It works fine most of the time when we stay at my MIL's in Leeds but not at my late Mothers place?

Rod

Also note that if you connect to a FON enabled private hub with your account details, you only get low bandwidth connection. OK for e-mail and casual browsing but not good for downloading or uploading large files. And you are subject to which hours they have allocated to broadcast, so if they have it switched off during particular hours (stopping kids online mid to late evening for instance) you loose connection.

If you do go down the smartphone route then you can get tethering which uses the phone effectively as the router and use your computer as normal. No idea on charges. Or has already been suggested, you can get dongles to plug into your computer.

But $64,000 question. Can you get 3G where you are going? Indoors?

I recall when in business a colleague who had money difficulties and got cut off went down to the nearest telephone box, telephoned BT told them he was starting up in business and gave a new trade name and got a telephone connection the next day.

So you might be able to claim a business use and get faster service?

devonwoody":6f2ic6pd said:
So you might be able to claim a business use and get faster service?

And pay a premium for the privilege, not only the connection fee but the monthly charges will be more as well.

One thing I've just thought about Steve, is the length of contract. Not sure how it would work but if you are thinking of moving again in the new year, it might be worth asking how that will affect any minimum contract period that you might be tied to. Something else to think about maybe.

On the question of a mobile dongle for your computer, I personally think that is something well worth investigating. I bought a Vodafone one a few years ago and while I only use it when in the caravan, it does work quite well when there is a signal. In fact if I've got a 3G signal as opposed to the normal one, it can be at least as fast as the BT connection at home (which is nothing to write home about BTW). Not too expensive either.

Hope you get sorted soon,

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back