help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all well i've had some bad news ,been made redundant.

worked in paper making factory, not alot of call for that down the job centre.!!!!

being a trained carpenter/joiner am thinking of going self employed. has anyone any idea of any help or grants i my be able to get ( not going to get much redundancy payment onbly been there 3 years ).

its a bit dawnting going straight into it with wife and child to support. andy

:? sorry to hear the news andy :( ,my firm called the recivers in about a month or so ago still waiting to hear whats going to happen :evil: sorry i carnt help you with any information but " and I know its not any help" your not alone i wish you all the best :D

martyn

Sorry to hear your bad news , hopefully its the break you need to earn extra money but i doubt your thinking that right now . Ive been self employed for well over ten years now and i think the first thing you should do if money is tight is get out there and ask around local building sites . Not sure how it works where you are but i think you'll need a CIS card from the tax man so you can trade as self employed . its worth getting one even if you don't use it as if your doing day work for a builder he will (most of the time ) deduct the tax from your wage . Im not sure about grants as im not a fan of them but i understand in your situation you may need them to support your family . But i think you could earn £150 + per day working for a builder if you are any good , again im not sure about that in your area . If your willing to travel and again are good at carpentry and joinery there are lots of firms that pay way over 150 for bench joiners and fitters .
What ever you decide good luck .

Agree. Bad luck.

Slef employed also. Have been all my life. Woldn't have it any other way. Huge shortage of people with craft skills all over the country. You'll have no trouble finding work. You need a CIS card (free) and a CSCS card (£20) for construction industry, you'll need to sit the easy peazy health and safety test and show tickets to get the latter. Neither for domestic stuff.

Id call into some of the larger joiners in your area and leave your details. That works far better than cold applying or replying to job adds if you want employment.

Best of luck.

Sam

thanx for the replies , sorry to hear your in same boat mart. the not knowing is the worst part.

will look into cis card. as for how good i am , im confident that i do good quality work, do lack the experience of cutting on a full hip and gable roof tho. but plans are easy to follow.
wages wise 150 sounds good to me, will have check around, and speak to a few old contacts(old? very old lol).

you'll need a passport size photo for the CIS , your local tax office will supply the forms . Tell them you are thinking of going self employed and dont give them anymore info or they will be on your case wanting to know what you had for breakfast :evil: By the time your ready for a tax return you should have enough spare cash to pay a good accountant to lie to them on your behalf :wink:
On another note i think if you have a p45 from your last job you can claim back tax , again a good accountant will get that for you .

Sorry to hear about the job and I know how you fell as my last boss made us all redundant a day before christmas eve :shock: .
I could have a job with his son ( we are still good friend and also work with him some times ) but had wanted to work for myself for a long time and it was the push I needed, wife was ok and have two child with a mortgage too.
That was three year ago and things are looking up so if you want to go for it and good luck :wink:
Try a search for j4bGrants for grants, I think they are posting some in your neck of the woods

Sorry to hear your news

I tend to shoot from the hip, maybe this an opportunity to start something you've always wanted to do, a change of way of life for your family.
I know it's hard to think like that just now but if you're young and fit get back on that horse you may find the new saddle sits better than before.

With every heartfelt good wish

Dom

Back