Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
As an apprentice I was described as 'angle blind,' I still am!
For any not familiar with the term I get stymied with such tasks as cutting a 45 degree angle on a cornice using a chop saw.
But to move on, I sharpen my own planer knives using a home made system. A 5 inch grinding wheel attached to a pillar drill arbor and the knives held in a jig at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The jig then moves the knife back and forth across the edge of the wheel.
My problem. If the pillar drill table is low at, say, the L/H side, will this affect the cut in any way?

Roy.

No, if I'm understanding your description right, then as long as the wheel is true across the edge surface, it will be fine. That said, if your pillar drill table isn't level then that's a problem in itself that could do with sorting!

I have so sorted it actually, the locking pin had eased out of its hole, and it was that which led me to the question as I could not see that it would make any difference, but I was far from certain.
All my life I have struggled with angles and usually end up with test pieces all over the shop floor! :oops:

Roy.

Back