Help yourself any time you want he said...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday whilst I was fixing my car my farmer came over with a tree trunk that had fallen down for me they had cut out of a hedge whilst fencing. He then took me to his wood yard which is nearly empty as they are only now beginning to cut this years wood. "Bring your tractor over any time and help yourself he said". So today I had a little browse. I had seen some good sized oak logs in one pile they removed from a stream during the floods. Whilst there had a poke around and found some nice cherry logs about a meter long and up to 12" diameter. Very please with them as I don't get much cherry wood. But sometimes there is a more unusual wood in the pile.

Here is some photos, need to seal them tomorrow, the oak is already showing very small splits near the pith of some of them. Did split a little one in half.

P1010963.JPG

P1010967.JPG

P1010968.JPG

P1010969.JPG

Attachments

• P1010963.JPG
    P1010963.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • P1010967.JPG
    P1010967.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 1,010
  • P1010968.JPG
    P1010968.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,010
  • P1010969.JPG
    P1010969.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,010
Had a similar experience some time ago when metal detecting on a farmer's land somewhere near Cwmbran. Chatting to the farmer, the topic turned to timber. I've got a bit of oak in the yard he said, go and help yourself. Well, the bit of oak turned out to be a single trunk about 1 metre in diameter and 10 metres long. As far as I know it's still there, but I haven't been back.

Random Orbital Bob":ck8qayml said:
is that oak that's been split in two? Lovely nutty brown heartwood, looks more like walnut or laburnum or similar...very dark...nice

Yes oak, the sapwood is really white and sound. That tree grew on the riverbank and was washed over and fouled up against a bridge (more of a drain arch through the road). The cherry has very dark bark. I noticed an end sticking out of another pile and generally when there is one bit of tree there are several bits close together from the same tree.

Altheo":3b493xwr said:
Had a similar experience some time ago when metal detecting on a farmer's land somewhere near Cwmbran. Chatting to the farmer, the topic turned to timber. I've got a bit of oak in the yard he said, go and help yourself. Well, the bit of oak turned out to be a single trunk about 1 metre in diameter and 10 metres long. As far as I know it's still there, but I haven't been back.

Yes, recently I found a yew tree like that, couldn't lift any of the main trunk into a trailer. which was a pity as the whole main trunk (several tons) was going free.

Methinks thou dust need a bigger lathe .... & perhaps a 42" chainsaw.
:mrgreen: (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

As the saying goes..."it's an Ill wind......" seems there will be a glut of logs available for a while unless the evil wood chipper squad get their hands on it. I am hoping my tree surgeon is too busy to do any chipping for quite some time. He has promised not to destroy the Yew logs:)

Good luck with your windfall. Hope to see some of the finished items in due time. Hope the Cherry doesn't split too bad which it likes to do.

Latest posts

Back