Help...wooden child's clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waza81

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am fairly new to woodworking. I have made a simple child's clock toy to help my daughter learn time. Its a round face 18mm ply on a base. The hands are both 6mm ply. The original plan was to screw the hands to the middle of the clock. Problem is move them one way they get too tight and the other way they unscrew themselves. Whats the simplest way to attach to have enough friction to stay at a certain position but loose enough for my daughter to move them to different positions.

I suggest you use a screw/bolt that has a smooth shaft for part of its length [part threaded], to allow rotation; and add a drop of super glue to hold it in place, making sure you don’t get any on the rotating parts.

Otherwise use a bushing for the top of the shaft: a plastic collar on the screw shaft, possibly a drinking straw.

Then getting the friction right is just how hard it is tightened down or by shimming the shaft by wrapping in tape.

Essentially you need to make a few prototypes with what you have to hand. I find scraps and recycling materials ideal.

could you do something like A-D suggests, but trap the hands between a couple of o rings?

I would guess that just making the holes in the hands a little wider would solve your problem, provided there is a washer (or two?) on the outside to stop the screw rotating with the hands. Friction force from the head of the screw, rather than from the screw thread, to hold the hands in place.

As mentioned, make prototypes, rather than irrevocably stuffing up your workpiece. It a lesson hard learned. Often my workpiece becomes relegated to prototype status because it all went wrong. Best to do it in the traditional order, on scrap first.

Drill a 5 mm hole through the plate and the hands.
Use a 5 mm bolt through from the back and tighten a nut down to the plate so the bolt is rock solid. Put a thin washer on the bolt, put the long hand on, put another thin washer on, put the short hand on, add one more washer. Use a nyloc self locking nut on the end and tighten the nut slowly until the hands are under enough friction for them to stop wherever you put them. Cut of the excess thread and paint the end red (or yellow, or blue or......) 8)

Back