Help with which vacuum to buy please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colmorley

Reaction score
Hi, if anyone can offer experience and advice on this please would be great. Thanks in advance!

I'm about to set up a proper woodworking space and looking into buying a good vacuum system to plug into a machine when using. So not setting up a room system, not yet anyway. So I've looked at the two machines below, one more pricey than the other but wanted to see what you thought was the best option? Also if i went the axminster option with smaller 51mm pipe then added a converter to widen the suction to the table saw 100mm, does this affect the power of suction?
I will once the shop is sorted sort out a cyclone barrel too but again same question, if i use a cyclone with smaller than 100mm hole, will it affect the power of suction?

option 1
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/fine-filter-twin-motor-80-litre-extractor--hplv#.YIUNoe9Kh25option 2
https://www.axminstertools.com/numatic-nv750-workshop-vacuum-extractor-230v-702413?glCountry=GB
Many thanks.
Col

Search the past threads. We have done these to death :) You will find the answers and lots of good info if you look.
Of the two pictured, avoid the Record, it's a horrid noisy tin can thing.
The Numatic machine painted in Axminster colours is a good machine. A little costly but useful.
Neither are suited to use with a bigger hose than 50-63mm regardless of the fact that they provide a 100mm inlet. These are suitable for cleaning up, hand power tools and selected smaller machines. They make strong suction but only in a small concentrated area.

The Record is a different machine to the clone ones that retail for around £100, it has 2 motors and is 2Kw for a start.

I have the Record, I got it because a used one came up cheap locally, I was a little surprised when I saw the new price of them! I have it dedicated to the bottom of my panel saw, it's a professional saw with 5" outlet but the Record seems to handle it well. I like the Record because my saw is in the middle of the workshop and the extractor just tucks away under the side table of the saw out of the way. It seems to have plenty of suck, it's loudish but I can't hear it over the saw.

The instructions say you shouldn't run it for more then an hour at a time if using both motors which I was a bit surprised at. The way around this is to just use one motor at a time and keep swapping between them but this does reduce the suction.

Not sure I would buy one at full price for my needs but I think it is one of the few extractors that can do machinery and powertools so might be worth it to some.

John McGrath does a good review on it, I think in another video he pipes it in.

The first plank that falls on the Record will smash the plastic top. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: Vacuum type machines are OK for power tools but only if they have power sockets for master/slave activation.

Support your local independent suppliers; you never know when you might need them!

Ive always found them approachable and happy to do a deal, if you find that you can get what you want for less than their ticket price.

The first plank that falls on the Record will smash the plastic top. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Lol, that's why mine was cheap, the previous owner had dropped something on it and smashed the top. I called Record about a new top and they wanted about £70 for that piece of thin yellow plastic plus the swap over wasn't straight forward so I didn't bother. Some superglue sorted it out, it has a few extra gaps in it but I just see these as extra vents for cooling which can't be a bad thing 🙂

I have used a version of the Numatic for 25/30 years. I swapped the motor over some years ago, not because it was broken but because I managed to get a higher output motor. I have used mine since day 1 without bags as I have the hospital grade filter. It is an excellent piece of kit and has served me well in the workshop and around the home when doing building work.

Colin

You need to read this: A guide to dust extraction by member siggy_7. To cut a long story short for small tools and sanding you need a vacuum type system HPLV, but the bigger the better, twin motors if possible, for a table saw and anything else that produce's chips of wood rather than sawdust you need a proper extractor HVLP not a vacuum, no machine can do both.

Cyclone's do nothing more than reduce the pressure in the pipe's and help prevent the filters getting clogged.

I have a twin motor record, very similar to that but mine is wall mounted with the cage and bags.
It must be 15 years old now and still works well, you need to quite regularly change the paper bag filters and clean the fleece one.
I would suggest the bag style( I think mine is a 5000) over the tub style if you are regularly planing and thicknessing as you can fill up a bin pretty quick and it's much easier to change a bag than empty the tub.

Unfortunately in the end you are likely to need an extractor and a "shop vac" . I have a dust deputy on a festool vacuum and it really does remove 98 percent of the dust before it gets to the vacuum bag, also uses plastic bags for ease of use. I would say the ultimate dust deputy on a ct26 would be better than the numatic. Not sure the prices these days though.

Ollie

Thanks everyone! Very much appreciated for your help and advice.

@marcros
Im planning first off to use with a table saw and move it to the thicknesser as an when needed. Since i posted I thought about getting a vacuum and a separate dust filter etc but now i'm actually thinking getting a Scheppach Woova 3 with Fine Filter hopefully killing two birds with one stone?

@Doug71
Thanks for the video link, i actually viewed it a couple of days ago.

@LJM
I'd love to support local. If you know of any manufacturers in the Leeds area I'll call them straight away.

Thanks again!!!

The problem that you have is that the saw produces dust and the thicknesses a mountain of shavings/chips. I would check the filter level of the scheppach unit. The alternative is a drop box solution on a vac based unit. On the latter, I have a camvac 2 motor thing and a cobbled together drop box that works well.

I have the DX4000 and it is noisy so mine lives in a sound proof cabinet, see another thread for details. I run it in a 110mm ducted system and it copes fine with a Metabo planer thicknesser (but does fill up rather quickly) plus table saw, bandsaw, mitre saw, sanding etc. Its not suitable for a trade environment but fine for hobby use. If I was buying again I would look at one of the smaller dual motor CamVac machines and pair with a cyclone. I regularly use both motors at the same time and wouldn’t want a single motor variant. The Axminster version NVD750 with the dual motor and 100mm port is more expensive but quiet and good quality, if you can stretch to the price.

I think after seeing this, maybe a front runner - W796 Dust Extractor With 1 Micron Cartridge Filter

I have a different Charnwood (via Poolwood) with double the extraction at lower price, unfortunately out of stock just now - Charnwood W691CF Dust Extractor With 1 Micron Dust Filter - W691CF (poolewood.co.uk) Works well on table saw and PT with about 5 metres of 4" hose and it runs fine on 13amp plug. It's a clone so maybe available elsewhere with different badge.

Back