Help with this Lie Nielsen No7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark andrews

Reaction score
Hi guys 1st post and in need of help!!! A bit cheeky I know

Recently I've taken an interest into design and making furniture and last week see the no 7 on the auction site we all love to hate.

Described like this

Lie-Nielsen No.7 Jointer Plane

GOOD CONDITION,HAS HAD VERY LIGHT USE, A COUPLE OF LIGHT MARKS HERE AND THERE SEE MARKS TO SIDE PLATE, BUT CLEAN AND SHARP AND GOOD WORKING ORDER, READY TO USE (BLADE IS PERFECT).THIS ITEM HAS BEEN USED AS A TOOL NOT A COLLECTORS ITEM.

in the pictures on the auction it looked fine but they weren't close ups. He did have great feedback.

The pictures below I took an hour ago and as can be seen there are a few lumps and bumps and not just 'marks'

Not really what you expect when you paid £250 and it was said to be clean or am i being petty???

I have sent the guy a msg saying I'm a bit upset but just wanted another opinion.

Thanks in advance

I think it's three posts before you can post images Mark and I know there are some real fans of LN planes in here, so you're bound to get some good advice. Me, I just come here to admire people's encyclopaedic knowledge of all things tool.

Thank mate

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Not to clear in the picture but looking at the left side of the mouth is a raised dent on both sides so obviously the plane is not flat

Thanks again

I can appreciate you're not too happy but he did say it was a user and abcviously that user has hit a couple of nails ( I suspect that is why he used the description he did). LN and Veritas do have softer castings than the traditional Stanley but are also less prone to breakage. Looking on the bright side you saved £120 and both damages look as though they will file out in the case of the toe and stone out in the case of the mouth, leaving a perfectly usable if not cosmetically perfect plane. So long as the seating of the frog is not distorted I would complain and maybe ask for a bit of compensation but hang on to it. If the seating for the frog is in any way distorted I would demand a full refund. Good luck but don't lose sight of the fact you have a wonderful No 7 for £250! :D

Thanks mate, Obviously the reason I posted was I thought maybe its not such a big deal.

However if it was me selling that No 7, I would have made the listing 100% accurate to avoid any confusion

On looking at the full posting I think, unless he showed detailed pictures of that damage, he has been economical with the truth and Ebay would no doubt support any claim in your favour. It may be worth pursuing compensation through them rather than a return. The back corner of the mouth, providing it is made flat and flush is not contributing to blade support hence my comment re cosmetic.

I don't know about planes, but I do know eBay and his pictures and description do not show the damage at all. I would do as Modernist says and ask for some compo from him in the first instance - give him a chance to correct his mistake.

Modernist":1wm46ycg said:
On looking at the full posting I think, unless he showed detailed pictures of that damage, he has been economical with the truth ...

Agreed. It's a lie by omission.

BugBear

Back