Help with table saw switch and cable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, that site must have very big thumbs! :D

The formula for converting single-phase HP to current is:

HP x 746
-----------------------------------------
Volts x Efficiency x Power Factor

The common power factor used for rotating motors is 0.8 and efficiency is 0.95. Plugging those numbers into the formula for a 3HP single-phase motor at 230V gives a current of 12.8A. There is a similar formula for three-phase loads.

I have no idea where the Engineering Toolbox is deriving its rule of thumb, unless it is considering the locked rotor current at startup. I have digital meters connected to the distribution panel in my shop, and my observations with single and three-phase motors are consistent with the formula.

Spec from SIP

Attachments

• IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 74
Spent the last two hours trying to remove the second cover plate :oops: (hammer) #-o
Bottom left bolt still stuck fast despite the best elbow grease, Plus Gas and impact drivers I've got.
This to try to see whether the motor plate is on the "rear" of the motor.
As the photo shows - ish - there doesn't seem to be a plate here.
Unless some bar steward was having a laugh and stuck it underneath or inside the motor, I'm blowed if I can see one anywhere

Yep, the belt feels a little rough so that will be renewed . Along with the wheel which has lost its handle

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 65
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with these photos please ?
They are taken with a phone, are the right way up in the phone and on my Mac. but once I attach them to these posts , they turn sideways :?

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 61
Had to take the extension table off to get at the cover plate below- weighs a ton.
Will make a wheeled dolly to keep/lift it into place when I bolt it back in place

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 62
It looks like the original motor, it most likely is the original motor, but theres no way of knowing for sure without that plate, it is always on the side of the motor.
You did say you were refurbing, didnt you? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Phone photos often go sideways on forums. Its to do with the exif, which is the scientific details attached to each pic as you take it.
When you save it to your computer, open the pic, rotate it , bring it back to normal and then save it. This realigns the details and from then on, the computers are all talking the same language and they appear the right way round.

Right some success at last.
The plate was on the side of the motor once upon a time :roll: but it now lives underneath when I look at it !!!
Anyway pic attached. Sorry its fuzzy - best I could do without extracting the motor completely
Pleased to have persevered and found this. Looks as if the Axminster NVR switch will do the job ??
And not the Kedu that I posted up at the beginning of the thread
But disappointed to have chewed up the last bolt securing the rear cover plate.
Impact driver etc has had no effect and now the cross head screw has had it and will need drilling out I guess.
Suggestions for best way to do that please ?
R
IMG_0763.JPG
ather than just uploading the photo from the desktop, I've now set up a table saw folder and have rotated the pics as you suggested , then turned them back the right way to see if this makes a difference. Mind you I'm not sure which way is up when i'm taking a back to front photo from below the motor :mrgreen:
Yes I am planning to refurb the saw but am just feeling my way at present. Want to check all the basics and safety features first. Then if all seems ok and the blade is properly square and aligned, I'll do all the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 73
Don't ask me which up the motor plate photo above is
This is the offending bolt :evil: (hammer) and the blade tilt wheel which needs a new handle

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 47
Clearly I haven't got the hang of uploading photos the right way round yet :?
So here's another attempt.
The concrete floor should be at the bottom of the pic !!

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 88
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
you feel a sense of achievement already, dont you? :lol: 8)

Westwood":2kgiy0a1 said:
Clearly I haven't got the hang of uploading photos the right way round yet :?
So here's another attempt.
The concrete floor should be at the bottom of the pic !!
IMG_0751a.jpg

You need to remove the EXIF data from the image.
The forum software deliberately assumes that you want it shown the way you turned your camera/phone.

Clicking it and opening in a Browser turns it around using the EXIF data if it exists, assuming that was the way you were viewing it and had rotated your camera/phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0751a.jpg
    IMG_0751a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 106
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
you feel a sense of achievement already, don't you? :lol: 8)
Haha I certainly do, albeit tempered by the chewed up screw head

CHJ thanks for that - I was clueless about Exif data so have learnt something else today.
Hopefully the pics below are now the right way up.

Pic of the switch inside shown - at least its nice and clean inside.
Think the Axminster one shown may be suitable.
Bob, now you've seen the motor plate, do you agree ?

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
I'll do a separate thread later on the full refurbishment of the saw.
Seems to be very little out there on this SIP saw

Pics sent separately to see whether they're now ok -with Exif data stripped out

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 68
Yay finally worked !!
And this is the switch which I think is suitable, but perhaps someone who understands Motor Plates can verify please

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 18.52.18.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 18.52.18.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 69
Bearing in mind my wrong info that I took straight from the web..... :roll:
2 people in this thread who have the theory agree that your motor uses less than 12 amps (notice though that came up with different answers :shock: ).
That switch you list is rated at 15 amps, so the short answer (waiting on confirmation and ratification) is yes, that will be acceptable. 8) 8)

Back