Help with sharpening difficult cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello All,

Since you have given so freely of your time and help with my other queries, for which I am very grateful incidentally, I wondered if you can help with this.

How does one sharpen the cutter for a Stanley 98/99 side rebate plane and the three cutters for the 071 Record router plane. Although I am not so worried about sharpening the Stanley blade, the router plane is a very recent aquisition from a tool dealer and the previous owner has been at the cutters with what seems to have been a motorised grinder of some kind. Consequently, the bevels on the pointed cutter are ground off centre and the sole of the smallest cutter is no longer at ninety degrees to the shank. Should I just try to obtain new ones?

I am also already aware of Bugbears amazing jig, but think my cutters need fixing prior to honing.

Can't wait to see what you all come back with.

Many thanks,

Gordon :)

I've done the single beveled 71 cutter by hand with no problems (mine's a stanley however).

I don't think the sole is SUPPOSED to be square to the shank though, is it? Near as I can recall, it's about 5* - 10* or so off of square specifically so that only the cutting edge makes contact with the wood and not the entire bottom surface of the cutter.

Or have I misread?

Re the 71. The sole of the blade is angled as Mike says. I ground my bevel on the side of a grinding wheel and honed by hand with a slipstone from there.

I am also already aware of Bugbear's amazing jig, but think my cutters need fixing prior to honing.

More over-the-top than amazing, I'd say.

I've used that jig to fix (as you put it) as well as hone. It just depends what abrasive is on the glass. 50 Grit AlZi can change the shape of a small blade quite rapidly...

BugBear

Back